First time with squids

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

First time with squids

Post by gohyuheng »

Went to my same spot but it was unproductive from morning till afternoon... caught a few tambans but no takes with them. Decided to change my tamban rig and tie on a squid jig I bought ages ago, but didn't use before. I didn't really know what I was doing, tried to remember what one of the Malay uncles taught me about eging months ago and replicate.

On my second cast, suddenly felt a weight tugging, and I pulled up my very first sotong!!
Afterwards it became a sotong frenzy with a second sotong and third sotong on the subsequent casts.

All of a sudden, there was a hard pull and something started pulling out line :shocked: monster sotong is here :D

Here's the first 5 sotongs with the big one :D :D :D
Large one weighed exactly 500 grams.

Another picture of the five.

Total catch for today. Disappointing catch on the fishy side but the new eging experience made the trip worth it :)
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: First time with squids

Post by Peace »

That's an impressive eging catch on a first try, that will be something added to the routine list while you're fishing there. ;) I would used the smallest one as bait on the spot, it might land you a Kurau on your surf!

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Peace wrote:That's an impressive eging catch on a first try, that will be something added to the routine list while you're fishing there. ;) I would used the smallest one as bait on the spot, it might land you a Kurau on your surf!
I did hook up the smallest one as bait on LSBF but it came back intact an hour later :(

Ichibongs
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf fishing, lure fishing, squid fishing, net casting, offshore fishing, fly fishing.

Post by Ichibongs »

Nice! Haha whr though?

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Ichibongs wrote:Nice! Haha whr though?
Near Marina South :)

Tsuricrazy
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Eging

Post by Tsuricrazy »

Hi Yu Heng!

Would you mind sharing how you caught the yellowtail fusilier and whether was it near the stretch of MSP Railings?

I have been actually aiming to catch them there and accomplish making fish balls with them :D still a zero fighter even till now (Using tamban jig)

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Tsuricrazy wrote:Hi Yu Heng!

Would you mind sharing how you caught the yellowtail fusilier and whether was it near the stretch of MSP Railings?

I have been actually aiming to catch them there and accomplish making fish balls with them :D still a zero fighter even till now (Using tamban jig)
Welcome to HLF Tsuricrazy :)

I caught them on small cut prawns on tamban jig, slightly west of MSP. I would not recommend aiming for them here though as most of them are very small in size and they're not really abundant.

I've seen many anglers bring up good sized fusiliers at labrador park jetty though, and I've personally hit quite a few over there as well, so you might want to give there a try :)