Grouper day!!

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Grouper day!!

Post by gohyuheng »

Finally back from 25 days of Brunei jungle :raincloud: Actually managed to catch some catfish from the rivers during survival training :p
Got 300grams and headed down to the usual. First handline I hooked up a prawn and threw it down. As I was watching it sink to the bottom, line suddenly went pulling :shocked:
Immediately yanked up this rare beauty!
My first coral grouper :)

About 30 minutes after that, I yanked up another smaller orange spotted grouper at the same spot, before the rain started to pour super heavily.

When the rain ended, I came out and threw another live prawn at the same place with the same handline again, and immediately it went for another dash!! It firmly embedded itself in the rocks though. I decided to hold on to the handline and wait for it to come out, which it eventually did. Yanked that guy up with no mercy :mischieve:

I lost a 2 more fishes which embedded themselves in the rocks, I believe they're groupers too.
Meanwhile, I managed to hook up a few rabbitfishes.

Towards the end, I saw something spectacular. There was a school of Mahi Mahi jumping out of the waters in the distance!! Way out of casting range but they were all huge :shocked:
I didn't even know they could be seen in singapores waters.
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Grouper day!!

Post by Peace »

These fishes gets me drooling, quality catches right there. It beats some my bad offshore catches. :o You sure you saw mahi-mahi? It's unlikely, I wouldn't rule it out completely though. How far were they away from you?

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

Post by Commando_YR_Chin »

Awesome CR !!! :) :thumbsup:

P.s: i need confirmation on my buddy's unique catch, my buddy recently caught what could be a baby tuna in sg waters off near sentosa, i try to get a photo for u... :)

https://imgur.com/a/UJJsY
Fishing is #AWESOME!!! :thumbsup: :D :fish: :fish2:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Commando_YR_Chin wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm
P.s: i need confirmation on my buddy's unique catch, my buddy recently caught what could be a baby tuna in sg waters off near sentosa, i try to get a photo for u... :)

It's definitely from the Tuna family, but they don't grow very large like the yellowfins or bluefins. I'm not entirely sure but it should be a Longtail Tuna. It's a rare catch in our waters, congrats to your friend. :thumbsup:

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Peace wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:13 pm
These fishes gets me drooling, quality catches right there. It beats some my bad offshore catches. :o You sure you saw mahi-mahi? It's unlikely, I wouldn't rule it out completely though. How far were they away from you?
I'm quite positive they were mahi-mahi, with their distinctive green colour and shape. They were about 30-40 metres out? Not too sure. They were jumping out of the water like they were hunting something.
Commando_YR_Chin wrote:

Wow was this offshore or on surf?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

gohyuheng wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 pm
I'm quite positive they were mahi-mahi, with their distinctive green colour and shape. They were about 30-40 metres out? Not too sure. They were jumping out of the water like they were hunting something.
I hope you do get to encounter and catch one of these. If you do, take me a nice picture of the fish and I can add it to the library. :grin:

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

gohyuheng wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 pm
Peace wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:13 pm
Commando_YR_Chin wrote:

Wow was this offshore or on surf?
Yatch i think :)

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Peace wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:37 pm
Commando_YR_Chin wrote:

It's definitely from the Tuna family, but they don't grow very large like the yellowfins or bluefins. I'm not entirely sure but it should be a Longtail Tuna. It's a rare catch in our waters, congrats to your friend. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info! :)

oldman
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by oldman »

Looks like what you can catch at sedili. Tongkol? Used to see the in the market.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It looks like Tongkol but take a closer look at its pectoral fins, it's longer than typical tongkol and it doesn't have stripes. But I suppose a collective species of tunas can be referred to as Tongkol in Malaysia.

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Results from another short trip :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Looks like you're on a coral trout streak. <3 It's interesting how there's hardly any corals there and yet you manage to keep getting them. Good overall catch!

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Both were caught at the exact same spot too! Maybe there's a little coral trout hide out there :p