Help on offshore

Catches from out the sea like boat fishing, kayaks and kelongs.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

lanlibra
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: offshore and beach fishing.saltwater

Help on offshore

Post by lanlibra »

i am currently studying wat is best for a fishing trip offshore.so every trip i would make a mark on the calendar and tides follows.which is the lunar calendar.recently,i fished ard southern island on the 16th Jan night and its during new moon on 2nd lunar calendar.tide is high,current is super strong even size 16 sinker fly and less bite.if i would go on 28th feb day which is 15th of lunar calendar,wat will it be like?will it be the same?please advise.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Help on offshore

Post by Peace »

Hi lanlibra, welcome to HLF. There's a thread related to your question that you may want to read first. Basically, you need to understand the correlation between moonphase and tide. To reiterate from the previous thread, new moon and full moon will have fastest current. Because lunar calendar is based on moonphase, new moon and full moon roughly falls on the 1st and 15th on the lunar calendar every month.

There are fishes on new and full moon, it's just that the current speed makes it difficult for anglers to fish effectively. Also, we don't want to fish when the current is dead slow. To play it safe, you can choose dates whereby the current speed is just starting to pick up. You can study closely at a tidetable of a particular month to note tide pattern to determine which day is suitable for your fishing.

Take this particular tide of a day for instance.
0011 2.9m
0505 1.7m
1046 3.2m
1728 0.2m

We can see how fast the tide rises or fall in a given period within a given cycle. For example, between 0011 and 0505 is a difference of 4 hours 56 mins (296mins). The tide level difference between this period is 2.9-1.7m = 1.2m(120cm). If we divide this by the time it took, we will see that the tide is falling at a average rate of 0.405cm/min. (We are assuming the tide is falling at a constant rate) This value will tell you how fast the current will be; the higher the value, the faster the current. So if we do the same calculation on the next rising phase, we get a value of 0.44cm/min. Comparing the two results from we know that the incoming tide is faster than the outgoing tide.

If you are willing to calculate the rate of change for each day for the entire month, you will be able to see the rate of change peaks roughly along new and full moon when you plot a graph with those values. I have a graph here that I plotted the for the tide article I meant to complete many moons ago, it's not based on rate of change but rather on tide level itself. Nonetheless, you can see the tide level pattern against the moonphase.

Even for the tide of a particular day, you can do a calculation to see what times of the day are faster than the other based on an hourly tide table. In the plotted graph below, we can see that the water level rises steadily in the morning and the current becomes faster and faster till around noon - 1pm where the current starts to slack into the tide peak. (Curve going steeper means current going faster while curve smooth towards a straight line mean slow current)

There are lots of inferences you can make from moonphase and tide tables but do know that this is just some of the few factors that can affect the outcome of our fishing. Even with the given tide data, they are subjected the the locality of your fishing ground.
lanlibra wrote:if i would go on 28th feb day which is 15th of lunar calendar,wat will it be like?will it be the same?please advise.
The current on 28th February will be very strong, so it's basically the same. You might want to choose another date, or follow the fishing calendar.

lanlibra
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by lanlibra »

Peace wrote:Hi lanlibra, welcome to HLF. There's a thread related to your question that you may want to read first. Basically, you need to understand the correlation between moonphase and tide. To reiterate from the previous thread, new moon and full moon will have fastest current. Because lunar calendar is based on moonphase, new moon and full moon roughly falls on the 1st and 15th on the lunar calendar every month.

There are fishes on new and full moon, it's just that the current speed makes it difficult for anglers to fish effectively. Also, we don't want to fish when the current is dead slow. To play it safe, you can choose dates whereby the current speed is just starting to pick up. You can study closely at a tidetable of a particular month to note tide pattern to determine which day is suitable for your fishing.

Take this particular tide of a day for instance.
0011 2.9m
0505 1.7m
1046 3.2m
1728 0.2m

We can see how fast the tide rises or fall in a given period within a given cycle. For example, between 0011 and 0505 is a difference of 4 hours 56 mins (296mins). The tide level difference between this period is 2.9-1.7m = 1.2m(120cm). If we divide this by the time it took, we will see that the tide is falling at a average rate of 0.405cm/min. (We are assuming the tide is falling at a constant rate) This value will tell you how fast the current will be; the higher the value, the faster the current. So if we do the same calculation on the next rising phase, we get a value of 0.44cm/min. Comparing the two results from we know that the incoming tide is faster than the outgoing tide.

If you are willing to calculate the rate of change for each day for the entire month, you will be able to see the rate of change peaks roughly along new and full moon when you plot a graph with those values. I have a graph here that I plotted the for the tide article I meant to complete many moons ago, it's not based on rate of change but rather on tide level itself. Nonetheless, you can see the tide level pattern against the moonphase.

Even for the tide of a particular day, you can do a calculation to see what times of the day are faster than the other based on an hourly tide table. In the plotted graph below, we can see that the water level rises steadily in the morning and the current becomes faster and faster till around noon - 1pm where the current starts to slack into the tide peak. (Curve going steeper means current going faster while curve smooth towards a straight line mean slow current)

There are lots of inferences you can make from moonphase and tide tables but do know that this is just some of the few factors that can affect the outcome of our fishing. Even with the given tide data, they are subjected the the locality of your fishing ground.
lanlibra wrote:if i would go on 28th feb day which is 15th of lunar calendar,wat will it be like?will it be the same?please advise.
The current on 28th February will be very strong, so it's basically the same. You might want to choose another date, or follow the fishing calendar.
tks bro.i have printed out the info n will try to study it.btwn strong current heavy sinker,bigger fish am i rite?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

lanlibra wrote:tks bro.i have printed out the info n will try to study it.btwn strong current heavy sinker,bigger fish am i rite?
Strong current doesn't necessarily mean big fish but the it does keep small fishes in place, hiding away from strong currents. Certain big fishes, especially pelagic fishes do favour strong currents because they're fast swimmers and feeds on baitfishes(i.e. tambans) which are abundant during strong current.

There's definitely big fish in slower current as well.

lanlibra
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by lanlibra »

Peace wrote:
lanlibra wrote:tks bro.i have printed out the info n will try to study it.btwn strong current heavy sinker,bigger fish am i rite?
Strong current doesn't necessarily mean big fish but the it does keep small fishes in place, hiding away from strong currents. Certain big fishes, especially pelagic fishes do favour strong currents because they're fast swimmers and feeds on baitfishes(i.e. tambans) which are abundant during strong current.

There's definitely big fish in slower current as well.
so wat type of rigs normally suits strong current?normally i rely on ranggong or running sinkers.and it the rigs presented at the bottom or hang few metres up from bottom?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, langgong is very well suited for strong current, running sinkers may too too. If you're targeting for big snappers like Ang Zho, you might want to use fixed sinker rigs like langgong where you can elevate it about 1-3 metres from the seabed.

chris chua
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by chris chua »

Been fishing at night in various spots recently but did not happened to land any fishes, can anyone help in providing me good spots for night fishing or other advise?

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

chris chua wrote:Been fishing at night in various spots recently but did not happened to land any fishes, can anyone help in providing me good spots for night fishing or other advise?
Just wondering if you are referring to night boat fishing ?