Perak Off Deep Sea Fishing

Catches from out the sea like boat fishing, kayaks and kelongs.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

lovemichaeltoday
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Everything about fishing :)

Perak Off Deep Sea Fishing

Post by lovemichaeltoday »

Hi Guys,

I going Perak fishing this weekend and i would like to ask anyone of you been to Perak offshore boat fishing? I heard that the water was pretty deep there... This is my second boat trip and my first trip at local was pretty disappointing :(

But I really into popping for GT just wonder will there be any fishing ground for popping? it a pretty ??? place for me as my uncle only told me eletric BC will be use on the boat... and weight will need abt 1kg :( wah tat a pretty scary weight... But nvm i already bought a boat rod with PE3-6 for this trip..

Any kind soul can provide me more infor? i dun wan to have another disappoint trip. Thank you...

No Fish No Jalan....

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Perak Off Deep Sea Fishing

Post by Peace »

Which part of Perak waters will you be fishing at? I've never fished there before but some googling revealed that people do popping and jigging besides bottom fishing.

Cranking a 1kg sinker is no joke, especially at high depth. You'll wear out pretty fast from just reeling back to check bait. A reel with high torque like ocea jigger will help but an electric reel is even better. I'm not sure if your rod can handle the sinker though.

I believe you can expect more on this trip compared to the local one. If your uncle has fished there before, you'll at least be in for some bottom action. Welcome to HLF and I wish you good luck!

A found a video on youtube supposedly on popping at Pulau Tukun Perak. Maybe that will give you some motivation. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joXOr9XEMzk

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

lovemichaeltoday wrote:Hi Guys,

I going Perak fishing this weekend and i would like to ask anyone of you been to Perak offshore boat fishing? I heard that the water was pretty deep there... This is my second boat trip and my first trip at local was pretty disappointing :(

But I really into popping for GT just wonder will there be any fishing ground for popping? it a pretty ??? place for me as my uncle only told me eletric BC will be use on the boat... and weight will need abt 1kg :( wah tat a pretty scary weight... But nvm i already bought a boat rod with PE3-6 for this trip..

Any kind soul can provide me more infor? i dun wan to have another disappoint trip. Thank you...

No Fish No Jalan....
deep sea fishing ? what setup u bought ?
electric reel will be a good choice for deep sea fishing(100m and above) but will be kinda boring as u wont feel the fight, its just like hurling up fish after fish. Bring a light setup to do some squiding(at night) and light jigging, it will be more fun then dropping ur 1kg sinker down to 150m and reeling up again to check your bait :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

lovemichaeltoday
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Thank you guys! tat the headach part becos he just nv tok me abt the name which i going for fishing... btw i just had a Daiwa 20H catanila for this trip and some yozuri small eging jig using apollo.. I dun really like BC reel tat much, haiz... my rod will be Seahawk PE 3 - 6 hope it wont break during the trip, wahaha no spare rod...

These days i just dreaming abt my first GT and those black merlin like those in Rompin :p i hope i wont waste my 8 to 9 hr trip coach bus there...

lovemichaeltoday
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Peace wrote:Which part of Perak waters will you be fishing at? I've never fished there before but some googling revealed that people do popping and jigging besides bottom fishing.

Cranking a 1kg sinker is no joke, especially at high depth. You'll wear out pretty fast from just reeling back to check bait. A reel with high torque like ocea jigger will help but an electric reel is even better. I'm not sure if your rod can handle the sinker though.

I believe you can expect more on this trip compared to the local one. If your uncle has fished there before, you'll at least be in for some bottom action. Welcome to HLF and I wish you good luck!

A found a video on youtube supposedly on popping at Pulau Tukun Perak. Maybe that will give you some motivation. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joXOr9XEMzk
Thank you! i did some research and saw this video before.. it seen like not many people been to Perak fishing... I maybe the few people who come back with interesting catch! will try upload the pictures when im back... Maybe you guys can try there in future.

lovemichaeltoday
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Keisuke wrote:
lovemichaeltoday wrote:Hi Guys,

No Fish No Jalan....
deep sea fishing ? what setup u bought ?
electric reel will be a good choice for deep sea fishing(100m and above) but will be kinda boring as u wont feel the fight, its just like hurling up fish after fish. Bring a light setup to do some squiding(at night) and light jigging, it will be more fun then dropping ur 1kg sinker down to 150m and reeling up again to check your bait :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi Hi,

Both if us just bring the following equpiment for this trip. These were the stuff we bought not more than 2 months. sorry abit too much and early cos we bought it when we see and feel that it nice and not bad.

never thought that fishing can be quite a expensive hobby but it just wont stop going on and on...

Set up for this trip:
Seahwak 6ft rod PE 3-6
BC Daiwa Catanila 20H
Bline 40lbs
FC Leader 80 and 100lbs

Shimano Bassterra EV 8'9ft (getting ready to break the in popping)
Daiwan KiKs 4000
Bline 30lbs

Custom Make rod Killersword PE 3-6
Shimano Ocea jigger NR 2000
Bline 40lbs

Pionner Nepture Rod 8ft (surf rod use for Popping)
Daiwa Exceler 4500
Bline 40lbs

Baitcasting Reel (Luring)
(DUN CARE BC for luring also use.) Remarks: Offshore use BC luring reel can?? some people mention it fine some said no.. it just tat after saltwater luring it need to send for servcing (cleaning)
Shimano BassOne
Daiwa Z2020H

Daiwa MegaForce Plus
Aww Shima ...

Can help me fine tune the stuff which are not sutiable? i can get it soon before Thurs night i move out for the trip.

Thank you very much

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Your setups are fine, but it does seem like the last two baitcasting set are a little on the light side. You can use them but definitely not for deep bottom fishing. All reels require some form of maintenance, and it's best to service them after trips where lots of winding and cranking the reel has gone through. If you crank too hard on a reel (ie. using sinker/jigs heavier than the reel can handle), the bearings will wear out very fast.