my $60 offshore trip 15/08/10

Catches from out the sea like boat fishing, kayaks and kelongs.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

jing601
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: offshore

my $60 offshore trip 15/08/10

Post by jing601 »

Edit: Corrected the image links for you. :)
- Peace

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: my $60 offshore trip 15/08/10

Post by Peace »

That looks like a fun trip in Changi waters, you guys even have the same set of tackles. :cool: Good job on landing that Giant Herring, they're very fast swimmers. :thumbsup:

jing601
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by jing601 »

and agressive too... and any idea if there is a better way to attatched the lines, weight and hook together? cuz for my case , it keeps tangelling up :cry:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

If you're entangling because of the fight with the giant herring, that is perfectly normal. But if get entanglement from normal lowering or retrieving of line, then it's probably because you're doing it too fast. It is recommended that you lower your rig down gradually with some tension on your end. Letting the bait/rig drop in free fall often causes the bait to spin and gets rig entangled on itself.

Anglers often use spreaders for to reduce this problem, especially if they're using a rig with long hook line. There are many types of spreader for different application, you can to go down tackle shop to have a look.

Here's an example of a spreader, this particular one allows line to go through. It's suited for near bottom with a single hook configuration.

jing601
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by jing601 »

i think this configuration at changi's tackle shop, but its made of stainless steel, 5 for 60 cents issit okay??

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Those made of stainless steel are fine too, but they require direct attachment to the jig itself, ie. two more knots. Make sure you choose the wrong size to accomodate the line poundage your using, do consult the tackleshop assistant on this. :) But for what I know, those don't cost 5 for 60 cents, the one I am referring to are the ones people use for ranggong rigs. Do you have a picture of the one you're talking about?

jing601
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by jing601 »

went down changi recently to take the photograph of this thingy i was talking about earlier on :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

This one looks okay though I will be very wary of the snap at the end of the metal "T", it doesn't look very strong.