CR: An offshore trip since a long while

Catches from out the sea like boat fishing, kayaks and kelongs.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

CR: An offshore trip since a long while

Post by Peace »

Here's the catch from my offshore trip yesterday with a friend. We haven't been offshore for quite awhile, and decided to give it a go. :) The day started with a storm in the morning even before we moved out, but it didn't drench our spirits.

The bite rate was pretty good in the morning but with too many sneaky little bait stealers which leaves us with very little live prawns by lunch time. Seeing how little prawns we had, we head to a spot to wait for biggies but no luck with it. Notable catch yesterday was a queenfish and a grouper by my friend, a longhead grunt by me, and a sweetlips by the boatman.

Overall, it's quite an enjoyable trip. It's nice to fish with a boatman who is quite the fishing enthusiast himself. :grin:

cisco kid
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by cisco kid »

Great catch bro :thumbsup: !! U caught my personal fevourite fish the longhead grunt....must give u a good fight rite?? :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

The fight was quite alright, but personally I don't really like deep water fishing because the deeper the water, the more it impairs the fish's ability to fight. The water pressure alone limits the fish's full potential and the pressure change as it is being retrieved will inflate most fishes' swim bladder which impairs their buoyancy.

The two factors alone will make most fish relatively easy to fight, unless they have bigger mass to resist. The depth we were fishing ranges from 20-30 metres. I was using a 30lbs birdship brand handline. :lol:

I ate part of the grunter already, sliced pieces in been hoon soup. Sure tastes great! :D

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

I must say thats a pretty good harvest there. A good variety of fishes.

I have yet to hook up a Queenie myself ...

And thanks for the info on deep sea fishing ..

Will be on Ah Long's boat this Mon 26th ..and he's bringing us deep sea he says .. and tell your kakis to bring sinker size 8!

I hope to have a harvest like urs ...

And you know what ..... When I grow up, I wanna be just like you!

Good catch there Peace ... :thumbsup:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

For queenie, I think it's not too hard to catch them from shore. The spot where you caught the chermins is frequently visited by queenfishes. Have to catch a rising tide early in the morning. ;)

Ah Long should be a pretty good boatman seeing the past crs from other anglers. Haha, I don't think many parts of Singapore waters can be considered deep sea fishing to many. But deep doesn't always equate to big fish either. :)

Current should be quite slow on Monday, which is probably why the boatman is able try for deeper waters. If you're lucky, you might hit a giant grouper or snapper in those deep trenches.

Wish you the best of luck on Monday! :clover: