23rd Dec ~ Changi Offshore with Uncle Fong

Catches from out the sea like boat fishing, kayaks and kelongs.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Re: Newguy New Adventure !

Post by dBs™ »

:thumbsup:

:yay:

:fish: :fish2: :fish: :fish2: :fish2: :fish: :fish2: :fish: :fish2: :fish: :fish2:

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Post by Newguy »

ok den...

I think currently dats all i hv question for... Will ask if i hv any more...
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

So soon and I am out of job here ? :cry:

Okay ... then share some past experiences with you ...
Am in the mood to dig past history this morning, right now ~ :coffee:

As you can see from the tide table, it's gonna be a rock and roll trip as monsoon has kick in and
water is pretty choppy given the steep tidal graph.
Since this is your FIRST trip, I would advise go on LIGHT breakfast and simple lunch.

Once I had a kaki who said he was from commando training ... being on SHIP before so bumbboat fishing is nothing lor !
Well ... since the man said until like that liao ... then let's go fishing lor ...
As he was a little late, he packed not only breakfast and lunch, it's double breakfast and tea breaks for in between !
Nothing wrong with that mah ...

I wouldn't think that he actually hit by sea sickness the moment the bumbboat left the jetty ! :lol: ::x: :shh:

His breakfast left untouched and so was his lunch and tea break ... hahahha.
His face changed from excited red to ghostly white.
He kept it all to himself ... till toward the end of the day ...
The commando couldn't hold it any further and was given the Merlion Award !

That happened many many many years ago ... something which still tickles my funny bones and makes me ROFL !
Now thinking back makes me wonder if he really is commando trained or just canon ball us ... and suffer in silence. :p

Alright, tippy for first time anglers ...
Take light breakfast, have enough sleep the night before ...
Never look into water for prolong period of time or stare at your rod tip for too long ...
Follow the momentum of the rocking boat with your body and you stand firm on your both feet.
Watch out for climbing waves, hold your foot step and hold on to something firm like railing bar.
Lastly ... keep on talking and takes your attention away from feeling sea-sick and
make your first offshore experience an enjoyable and memorable one. :clover:

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Next tip ...

Uncle Fong is one experienced boatman in Changi waters but he can be very difficult to get along ... :mischieve:

It's love him or hate him ! :D

We pass through the stage just like any other angler who went fishing with him before ...
And ever since we fish with him for the first time till today ... we never use another boatman in Changi waters.

We like his passion for fishing, he is one boatman who never fails to bring out his fishing rod and fish along with anglers.
Love having friendly competition with him ... very fun and enjoyable.
Good things said ... here's the bad side ... he will talk loudly at you as if scolding you when you do something wrong.
Like keep crossing other's line, fish hook up yet duno, lost a fish while fighting it ... annoys him much.
To newbies, he is proud and arrogant ...
Clue to get over it ... just accept everything he has to say to you with a big smile !
If you think he is right ... smile.
If you think he is wrong ... still smile.

Some friends said he gave us VIP treatment ... but I will say it is a two way relationship;
You be nice and other will treat you the same way.
Each time we go out for offshore fishing, we just want to have a fun day out with kakis,
talk talk, sing song, joke and take the stress away from work work work ...
When there is a frenzy ... good lor ... got fun got fish.
When there is no catch ... nvm lor ... it's the open sea ...
Pond fishing also don't guarantee you catch fish every time.

That said ... I hope you will like him and not hate him. ;)

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

To the 1st post i think only ahr im ok to sea sickness... Coz frankly all the boat trip i took was less than wad im gonna hv during boat fishing so hopefully i wont get the 2nd Merlion Award from u guys... Frankly boat trip i took was like canoeing myself for i think less than 4 hours then boat trip to Pulau Ubin for my OBS training back in school times that was like 12 years back and lastly my Army Training from east coast beach to Tuas naval Base which i sleep most of the times...LOL.. So like i said Hopefully this trip shouldn't have any prob for me Hopefully ahr!!!!

For The 2nd Post
I think this is general for pros or wad i called as season anglers...
They tend to actually make faces or scold you when we beginners cross line or didnt realise dat there a hook or actually lose a fish during fight....
For me this is all the process of learning how to fish and become better anglers or easy to said dont make the same mistake again as it will irritate others or ownself...
So i'm ok with this kind of boatman and i will tell you here 50% already goes to loving him even though i havent go yet coz i know i will learn a lot from him and even u guys the season boat anglers...
So dont worry i will make the best of it...

Abt the breakfast part and lunch can i juz buy some bread and bottle drinks to tag along coz i dont really eat much during my fishing trips mayb because of anxiety....

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

Well, good luck.
Maybe i should come to the nexttrip after i arriveback from taiwan.
Anyways, sea sickness is not joke.
You want to vomit, vomit, holding it in will make you more sick.If you are prone to sea sickness, buy pills to ease the pain.
Although i don know much, you can try using tamban jigs rigged with prawn to catch bait fishes,if you run out or prefer to "live off the land"
Still, Can you jig in changi offshore?Or is it too shallow?
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Newguy ... I am very happy to read your reply.
Great minds think alike !
Yes ... all boatmans are arrogant but to what extend ... that's for you to find out and tell me :p

Talking about experience ... there is one little incident which really impressed me.
Once I was fishing right besides uncle Fong and as usual talking n joking ...
He enjoy disturbing me like pulling my line when I m not paying attention etc ...

Then .. he suddenly turned to me and said ... "tau jiak" (big in teochew)
I look at him ... thinking he is joking me again ... where will believe him right ...
I said to him ... mine lagi tau jiak .. lol !
Then he started reeling back his lines and half way through .... the sad face with aiyah ... dropped !
that had me laughing loudly.
He said ... you no believe ... I show you.
He dropped the bait down again and shortly after he shouted "TIO ! "
Up came a big big cuttlefish !

The thing is ... just from the rod tip action and he immediately knew it's a cuttle fish.
Why can't it be squid ? Why can't it be fish ?
And the best part ... he knew it a BIG CUTTLEFISH and it was big.

Lunch ... own time own target ... anything of your choice.
Just make sure you have enough water which is the most important esp when the weather is hot.

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Newguy New Adventure !

Post by Oinkie »

Newguy wrote:To the 1st post i think only ahr im ok to sea sickness... Coz frankly all the boat trip i took was less than wad im gonna hv during boat fishing so hopefully i wont get the 2nd Merlion Award from u guys... Frankly boat trip i took was like canoeing myself for i think less than 4 hours then boat trip to Pulau Ubin for my OBS training back in school times that was like 12 years back and lastly my Army Training from east coast beach to Tuas naval Base which i sleep most of the times...LOL.. So like i said Hopefully this trip shouldn't have any prob for me Hopefully ahr!!!!

For The 2nd Post
I think this is general for pros or wad i called as season anglers...
They tend to actually make faces or scold you when we beginners cross line or didnt realise dat there a hook or actually lose a fish during fight....
For me this is all the process of learning how to fish and become better anglers or easy to said dont make the same mistake again as it will irritate others or ownself...
So i'm ok with this kind of boatman and i will tell you here 50% already goes to loving him even though i havent go yet coz i know i will learn a lot from him and even u guys the season boat anglers...
So dont worry i will make the best of it...

Abt the breakfast part and lunch can i juz buy some bread and bottle drinks to tag along coz i dont really eat much during my fishing trips mayb because of anxiety....
No worries about the 2nd Merlion award cos it was already taken up by....... Me..... Just enjoy the moment.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Ok great to know that the 2nd award was taken up Oinkie so been the 3rd and so on is abit lame unless im the worst from the 1st few ppl who merlion....

By the way for the water part to bring along on the boat wad drink will be appropriate to bring along further more is either gonna be a very hot day or rainy day(choi ahr).... Will mineral water or gassy water coz im thinking of buying ice lemon green tea for me of abt maybe 2 or 3 btl...

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

Any drink is fine, just bring ur favorite drink. Imagine a hot sunny day and you are perspiring profusely, what u want to drink most ?

Some might prefer mineral water, as they can clean up themselves after a day of fishing. Its really up to you, just need to bring enough to last you throughout. :)
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

ant
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by ant »

wah... i long time never fish liao... so much work to do T_T.... Jan got any trip planned?
My tackle must be rusted by now *sob sob*

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Ok guys have change my mono line to braided this is the line i bought....

Is this ok...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

It's an overkill for Changi waters but not unusable, so don't worry about it. You could have bought something of lower diameter which gives you the advantage of using lighter sinkers.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Oops sorie.... So now wif this kind of main line i could use 40lbs shock leader lah????? Am i right to say this....

Didn't know that it's an overkill leh....
Wah.... But then i'm still ok coz the shop i go even the 70lbs to 40lbs cost the same... :cry:

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Sorry guys last min changes cant join you guys for this trip coz hv wedding to attend...

Sorry for the last min info....

Hope to join u guys soon....