Taman Jurong Kim Bak Lor CR

Fishing from ponds operated by commercial entities. This includes fresh and saltwater fishing and prawning.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Darth Salacious
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Taman Jurong Kim Bak Lor CR

Post by Darth Salacious »

It was a good night out at Taman Jurong Paypond. Using live prawns as bait with size 1 hooks, and variably size 1/0 hooks, attached to our braided main lines, we managed to get 6 Kims that each weighed from about 700 grams to a kilo at the end of the day .

However, it seemed that the paypond only had Kims and it was pretty disappointing for Raymond, who had prepared some Selar fillets in the hope of landing some Snappers. After 3 hours of solid fishing, the heavens opened up on us so it was time for us to pack up our stuff.

At the end of the day, it was an extremely satisfying result , our drenched selves notwithstanding. The fishes were brought home where the Missus and I decided to make a scrumptious meal of beer-battered fish and chips with our Barramundi fillets. Adding a dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice on top of them, the fillets were simply, with the lack of a better word, heavenly.

A bad day at fishing is better than a good day at work.

My Fishing Blog - The Peranakan Angler

Darth Salacious
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Re: Taman Jurong Kim Bak Lor CR

I've added a picture taken from the Paypond's website showing the pond when it's semi-drained. As you can see, the center part is much deeper so hopefully this will give you a rough idea where to cast when fishing at the paypond itself.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

That's a pretty good catch there. I've not fished at Taman Jurong Fishing Pond before but I recalled they used to have Mangrove Jacks and Red Drums as well ya? Those fish fillet looks mighty tasty :drool:, I wouldn't mind getting drenched for some of those. :D

Thanks for showing the terrain of the bottom of the pond, it's certainly useful for anyone who wants to fish there. Just a thought: won't the trench cause snags and abrasion to your fishing line, especially when a fish takes it?

Thanks for sharing your catch. :)

Darth Salacious
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Peace wrote:That's a pretty good catch there. I've not fished at Taman Jurong Fishing Pond before but I recalled they used to have Mangrove Jacks and Red Drums as well ya?
Ah, I see. Hmm, it's pretty sad that we weren't able to land any of those nice fishes. :(
Any advice on what baits to use for them other than live prawns and selar fillets?
Peace wrote:Thanks for showing the terrain of the bottom of the pond, it's certainly useful for anyone who wants to fish there. Just a thought: won't the trench cause snags and abrasion to your fishing line, especially when a fish takes it?
Hmm, I think it will if the fish decides to go back down when a strike is landed, bro. But so far it's been ok for us. I guess it's because we're using near-to-surface rigs. I can't imagine the horror of fighting for 15 minutes and the line suddenly snaps because of an abrasion caused by the edge of that depression. Now that would really give me depression. Hahaha. :lol:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I don't think the owner releases other species of fishes on a regular basis like KBLs. From what I know, quite a few regular folks there are quite successful with spinning fresh tambans. (ie. that is to say that to work the tambans like a lure) Artificial lures work too but I believe the snagging rate can be pretty high especially when you cast near the pump. Rubbers also work but they often get their tail snipped off after a few hits. Others have tried using mollies and small tilapias as well and have reported to work as well.

Darth Salacious
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Oh I see. Thanks a lot for the advice on the baits to be used bro.
I still have frozen tambans in my freezer so I guess I'll spin them in the pond to try to land other kinds of fishes.
Probably will get my friend to try out his rubber fish lures as well. Hah. :lol:

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

Hey Bro ... I see another very fruitful trip from you.

Congratz!!! Again!!!

Just nice few kakis jio me to Taman Jurong Pond this coming Sat. 30th .... which I have never fish there before

and now this CR means alot to me ....

Thanks for sharing the infos .... and the Fish & Chips sure looks Yummy!

BTW, you wanna join me this Sat. the 30th? How about you, Peace?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

desleyhan wrote:BTW, you wanna join me this Sat. the 30th? How about you, Peace?
Heh, you guys go ahead; I've got something on. Have Darth show you the secret spots in the pond. ;) Have fun. :grin:

Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by 1314 »

Whahah.. aaron..

Never post ur groupa caught at Tanjong Rhu ? :lol:
Once an angler always an angler.

Darth Salacious
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Haha, hi Raymond. I've posted it in my fishing blog.

Btw Desley, so sorry that I missed this post. Raymond and myself were at Tanjong Rhu on Saturday. We figured that we should fish more often in the Kallang / Tanjong Rhu area before the barrage is completed. Haha. :lol:

This was the grouper that we caught there.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Nice grouper from Tanjong Rhu. I tried fishing before under the flyover but I lost quite a bit of sinkers there. :o I turned to using floats and fish at the fringes of the breakwater during low tide. Quite a variety of fishes can be caught along the breakwaters; caught tuskfish, russell's snapper, orange spotted grouper and puffers. They were not very big in size though it was fun fishing for them with floats. :D A pity for anglers that it has to be converted into a reservoir, but perhaps it will open to fishing in the future too.

Welcome to HLF, 1314. That's quite a username. :)

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

Hey 1314 ..... Image

What does it mean - 1314??

Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by 1314 »

Hi all,

Glad to join this forum. :yay:

Just came back from prp doing some pole fishing.

Pretty disappointed. Got a few hook up but lost it...

No wonder pple say pole fishing is the hardest method of fishing.. [P.S Somemore use 8 lbs mono as leader :rant:]

Desley 1314 = once an angler always an angler / Angler for life. :nod:
Once an angler always an angler.

Darth Salacious
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Hi Desley, any CR from TJPP? Share share with us leh... :yay:

Darth Salacious
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Yeah, totally agree with Raymond.
The line is very weak, a 8lb mono line with a small hook is totally unsuitable for fishes such as Kims and Chia Zhors.

But then again, that's the whole idea right? The owner's strategy to earn better money this way, I guess.

I asked the uncle on the variety of fishes in the pole fishing pond, to which he replied that there are many kinds of fishes in the pond. I've only seen Kims and Chia Zhors being fished out so far though.