surfcasting

For shore anglers casting far out into the sea.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

surfcasting

Post by Chatellany »

Hello guys, sorry again, but i have a train of noob questions to ask due to the fact im starting to learn surfcasting. recently got a surfcast reel and now looking for a rod to go along with it.

im wondering , if i get a rod with the specifications eg 20-40lbs lines, ( and that my reel is spooled with 40lbs mono line) can i still attach a leader of a higher poundage?? eg 60lbs. or i can use 40lbs for my leader oso ??

and next is, may i ask if the connection of the leader to the mainline for surfcast, issit using surgeon loop at the end of the mainline, den swivel, den leader?? or i have to do a FG knot or something?

I often see surfcasters' line with lots of beads looped, may i know why?

what is a shockleader/ issit necessary??

and lastly, isit a must i use sinkers which has like metal webbings at the end ?

advance thank you to the usual friendly replies!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: surfcasting

Post by Peace »

If the 60lbs line is still within reel and rod guide during casting, there's a chance that you can break your rod if something goes wrong. Like when the line gets caught around a guide or something causing an abrupt stoppage. Of course it would take a hard cast for it to happen. If the 60lbs line is outside the reel and rod guides then you're fine because the rod will only be subjected to a 40lbs strain max, theoretically anyway.

Shock leaders, as the name implies, absorbs shock from casting, striking and fighting fish. Braided in particular, have no stretch and is very prone to breakage when subjected sudden strain. Shock leader absorbs this stress, keeping the main line at maximum strength. The elasticity of the shock leader also makes casting easier when you have braided as your main line.

If you're using mono, it's not absolutely necessary to use a shock leader at all since mono mainline itself have plenty of shock absorbant properties. FG knot is probably the best knot to join braided mainline to shock leaders, virtually no strength loss and the slim knot passes through the rod guides with very little hinderance. You can use a surgeon's loop connecting the leader with a swivel but there will be quite a bit of strength loss in comparison.

Regarding the beads and the sinker webbing, I'm not too sure what you're referring to. Do you have a picture that I can refer to?

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Post by Chatellany »

Thank you for the reply Peace, so sorry , have been leeching of the forum most of the time. I will try to find a picture of the beads and webbing thing to seek further clarification from you. As for now your reply cleared 80% of my questions and im really thankful for that! :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Don't worry about asking, there will be others having the same doubt benefiting from your questions. I learn quite a bit myself for I often have to go look for answers to answer questions here. :o You and I are not that different. :)

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Usually , i dont care about this type of stuff =P I dont care what rod it is, what line, what appollo rig or whatever, surf casting rod whatever. Lol i just know its a rod and i know it can be used =P
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~