best place

For shore anglers casting far out into the sea.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

draken
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing

best place

Post by draken »

hey guys, can u recommend me good fishing place for surf fishing? and what bait to use..i am looking to hook up some stingrays and other big fishes

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: best place

Post by Peace »

Hi draken, welcome to HLF. :) Just to name a few common places: BJT, six pipes, outside SAF yacht club, Changi Beach carparks and Changi Kelong walk. If you want somewhere deeper, you can consider fishing from floating fish farms just off pasir ris.

draken
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by draken »

Hi peace :) can u give more info on how i could go to BJT and changi carpark? i usually fish at the changi beach itself which is near the place where boat came in an out but to the other end where ppl always have bbq pit there :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

The Changi Carparks are further down just before the the SAF ferry terminal, it's not too far from where you were fishing. As for BJT there's a bus service 401 from Bedok Interchange but they only run on weekends and public holidays. It's probably easier to take a train to Bedok MRT and take a cab in to carpark F1 or where the hawker centre is.

draken
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by draken »

Hey Peace :) What bait should i use to hook up stingrays and groupers? and if i were to fish at changi carparks and BJT where u described, how far should i cast ? Thanks :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Most people will tell you that sand whitings are the best baits for stingrays but I believe any bait goes. Rays are mostly scavenger and can only dig up small fishes, molluscs, crustaceans hiding in the sand. It's more important that you ensure that there's bait left on the hook at all times till a ray comes along. Rays can come in close to the shore when the tide comes in, their natural food are actually more abundance along shallow beaches. So don't really have to go all out and cast till the very last inch of your line to target a ray. ;)

Groupers will take pretty much anything also, but if you notice what they usually regurgitate out or when you gut them is that you'll find crabs. But using crabs as baits will limit the species of fishes you can catch which is why anglers are reluctant to use them. Groupers also don't typically move a lot so if you don't get one for awhile don't cast back at the same spot. If you're fishing at BJT, you'd probably have better luck fishing along its many pillars beneath.