Where to get tackle?

For shore anglers casting far out into the sea.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

Where to get tackle?

Post by Commando_YR_Chin »

Hi guys im a newbie here... any idea where to get cheap and good surfcasting tackle? i just started fishing at Bedok Jetty, cause i heard got big fishes... :)
Fishing is #AWESOME!!! :thumbsup: :D :fish: :fish2:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Where to get tackle?

Post by Peace »

Hi Commando_YR_Chin, welcome to HLF. If you're staying on the east side, Changi Village is a good place to shop for surf rods. Down at beach road, there's Joe's tackle and Tan Thong Cheong. I won't recommend specific rods since I'm kinda out of date with surf tackles.

One thing to look out for is the rod components. You want to be particular with the guides. Some rods may be cheap but if the guides starts corroding or break, you'll have a headache in deciding whether to repair or toss the rod away. I recommend rods with fuji brand guides since there's some indication of quality even with its cheapest aluminium oxide guides. A decent entry rod should cost you about 100 or so.

You also need to decide on the length and the number of sections the rod offers. If you're solely fishing on jetties, you won't need very long rods. 10'-12' is plenty. Longer rods are needed if you're fishing from the beach or breakwater. The number of section translate to the ease of transportation. More sections are easier to transport while lesser section are more robust.

You can ask to test the rod, ie. assemble to feel the rod to make sure it suits you. Your physique must also match the rod, but if you're commando fit, I wouldn't worry too much about it. ;)

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

Re: Where to get tackle?

Post by Commando_YR_Chin »

Ok thanks! :)
Fishing is #AWESOME!!! :thumbsup: :D :fish: :fish2: