popper,lures and jig

For enthusiasts using artificial lures.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Geraud
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

popper,lures and jig

Post by Geraud »

Hi can i ask what's the difference between popper,lures and jig?

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Re: popper,lures and jig

Post by dBs™ »

Pictorial explanation ... pictures speak a thousand words ...

Poppers

Jigs

Lures

Soft Plastic Lures

* all images taken from google images

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

HLF's Glossary with pics

http://www.handlinefishing.com/general/glossary.htm

POPPER

A popper is either made with wood or plastic material that floats on water.
The lure's mouth is usually flat or concave in shape, which produce water splashes and popping sound when twitch.

It is all about Surface Fishing which we use noise to attract the fish.
Poppers mimic prey chugging across the top of the water attracting the fish to attack.
If done correctly, it is able to lure fish from far away and trigger explosive strikes.
Fishing with poppers takes patience but it can be very exciting when you see something going after your popper.

JIGS

A piece of metal lure, usually made from lead and resemblances the shape of fish.

Jigs are intended to create a jerky, vertical motion.
It will hit the bottom if seabed with a "thud" which often attracts fish.
Most fish caught by jigs are on or near the bottom

Come in a variety of shapes and sizes that allow them to be used in different situations.
Many species of fish will readily strike a jig.

LURES

An object or organic bait that entices the fish to bite. More commonly refers to all kinds of artificial baits in general.

The purpose of the lure is to use movement, vibration, and colour to attract the fish's attention.
Lures are equipped with one or more single, double, or treble hooks.
There are many types of fishing lures and they are made to look like dying, injured, or fast moving fish.

There are surface lure, mid water and bottom ones to target different fishes residing in different water levels.
A good example will be Queenie, generally we use spoon to target them.
And you use divers to target groupers.

Geraud
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Geraud »

Thanks for the explanation. I would like to try it soon. What do you suggest for beginners?

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

I would suggest you start off by playing lures.
It's the most basic of all artificial bait fishing methods.
Once you are comfortable playing with the different types of lures ...
You are most probably ready to progress with popping and jigging.
If you notice, most big game fishing involves using popper or jigs.

Geraud
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Geraud »

Okay! :) What's the proper method for playing lure? Cast and slowly reel back and keep doing it?

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Post by Chatellany »

There's no proper method except proper attitude and mindset. Yes basically you cast and reel in. But how you reel in is very important. You may wanna act twitches when reeling in to attract more attention. Some fishes chase fast fishes, some chase slow swimming ones. Its also important to understand the actions of your lures and terrains before you go luring. Some common types of lures are minnows, crankbait, deep diver etc.. If the water is shallow you wouldn't want to bring a deep diver there lest you end up losing lures ($).

Geraud
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Geraud »

Chatellany wrote:There's no proper method except proper attitude and mindset. Yes basically you cast and reel in. But how you reel in is very important. You may wanna act twitches when reeling in to attract more attention. Some fishes chase fast fishes, some chase slow swimming ones. Its also important to understand the actions of your lures and terrains before you go luring. Some common types of lures are minnows, crankbait, deep diver etc.. If the water is shallow you wouldn't want to bring a deep diver there lest you end up losing lures ($).
How can i tell if the lures are minnows,crankbait or deep diver?

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Chatellany »

Sorry geraud, for that I can't help u much for the fear of misleading you. But generally minnows are longer somewhat similar to wad DBS shown for the pictures 'lures'. Crankbaits and deep diver and many other types of lures I suggest you wait for peace or DBS to further explain :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Minnows simply means certain species of carps/barbs that were commonly used as baitfish in America(?). So when making these artificial lures, they design it to mimmick the looks and movement of these fishes and so they're commonly called minnows. Crankbaits are those lures with a plastic bib infront, you need to crank the line back so it'll waggle. There are many types of crankbaits and minnows are one of them. Deep divers naturally refers to crankbaits that can dive several meters below the surface, commonly used to target for shallow bottom fishes such as groupers.

There are many ways to work a lure but remember the basic logic is to entice the fish to bite. Predatory fishes usually won't attack its prey if it knows chances of catching it is low and it'll be wasting energy chasing it. So work your lure such that it looks like it is in distress to let the predatory fish thinks it's an easy meal.

Geraud
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Geraud »

Peace wrote:Minnows simply means certain species of carps/barbs that were commonly used as baitfish in America(?). So when making these artificial lures, they design it to mimmick the looks and movement of these fishes and so they're commonly called minnows. Crankbaits are those lures with a plastic bib infront, you need to crank the line back so it'll waggle. There are many types of crankbaits and minnows are one of them. Deep divers naturally refers to crankbaits that can dive several meters below the surface, commonly used to target for shallow bottom fishes such as groupers.

There are many ways to work a lure but remember the basic logic is to entice the fish to bite. Predatory fishes usually won't attack its prey if it knows chances of catching it is low and it'll be wasting energy chasing it. So work your lure such that it looks like it is in distress to let the predatory fish thinks it's an easy meal.
Can you recommend me some deep divers lure?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Hmm, I don't lure a lot so I don't really know what to recommend you. I've used Predatek Boomerangs before and thought it was pretty good. You may also want to look into Rapala X-rap Deep diver.

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Luring may look as easy as it seems but it seriously requires some skills.
With no experience and probably never tried luring before ...
I will still suggest you try out some surface luring.
Get the feel of it first before trying out divers.
Imo, they are the easiest to sangkot !

If you are targeting grouper, you may want to get an "angelkiss" to begin with.

This lure is not only good for grouper.
The red heads are KBL's love ...
Green is especially good for grouper during sunny days and whites are great for night luring.

And ... welcome to the world of luring ~ :D

Geraud
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Geraud »

dBs™ wrote:Luring may look as easy as it seems but it seriously requires some skills.
With no experience and probably never tried luring before ...
I will still suggest you try out some surface luring.
Get the feel of it first before trying out divers.
Imo, they are the easiest to sangkot !

If you are targeting grouper, you may want to get an "angelkiss" to begin with.

This lure is not only good for grouper.
The red heads are KBL's love ...
Green is especially good for grouper during sunny days and whites are great for night luring.

And ... welcome to the world of luring ~ :D
One more question,what size should i get? If i'm not wrong,they do come in different sizes right?

Thanks for your help! :) Going to try it soon. While waiting for my other rod to have fish,i can practice some luring! :)

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Chatellany »

Take note of the weight first before u decide on the size. On lure rods are stated the suggested weight the rod can take. Most rods can take from generally 7-20g. Too light you won't feel the weight of the lure when casting, too heavy it will be harsh on ur rod. Different. Lures have different lengths so it depends on wad u buy.