For enthusiasts using artificial lures.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Grawpy
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Lure Fishing, Handline Fishing, Surf Fishing

Walk the Dog...

Post by Grawpy »

I'm trying to learn walking the dog method for pencil lure and I practiced this technique yesterday at Jurong Lake. The lure was Daiso $2 pencil lure which I cast using spin cast rod. I gave the rod continuous twitches while reeling and the lure was walking the dog for some time and when it came near the shore (or near my rod) then the lure was going straight only. I tried this on elevated ground as well as on shore (near water level) keeping my rod low.
So can say it walk-the-dog 50% of it's swimming time on every cast.
How can I refine my technique so that it can do WtD in it's full path? 0.o
Also is this technique dependent on size or weight of lure? My Daiso lure is tiny and difficult to cast it to a distance for more swimming time. Should I buy a bigger and heavier Pencil lure (if yes, please recommend some lure)?
Everything is possible... The impossible just takes longer...
My Weapons:
  • Highland Seahawk Graphite HLD902HS rod (9 feet, Heavy, 18-35 lb)
  • Haibao C6 Reel 40F (Ball Bearings: 6, Built-in LED)
  • Seahawk Pro-Line 25 lb Mono Line 0.32 mm diameter

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Walk the Dog...

Post by Peace »

'Walking the dog' gets harder when it comes close to you but it is still possible to maintain the action, the twitches will have to be shorter than you normally would. Of course, this will depend on the build of the lure itself too. Does your lure have those metal balls embedded inside, because it can help create noise as well as increase casting distance. Otherwise, just get a bigger sized lure. You can also take a few steps back after casting to create an extra distance for easy 'walking'.

Many lurers will recommend you Lucky Craft Sammy, it's said to be one of the easiest lure to walk. It's worth investing in a good topwater lure as they don't usually get snagged like crankbaits do.

Grawpy
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Lure Fishing, Handline Fishing, Surf Fishing

Post by Grawpy »

Do you know any particular shop in Beach Road that sells Lucky Craft Sammy. I have been there to some shops, but never seen any lure from Lucky Craft.
Everything is possible... The impossible just takes longer...
My Weapons:
  • Highland Seahawk Graphite HLD902HS rod (9 feet, Heavy, 18-35 lb)
  • Haibao C6 Reel 40F (Ball Bearings: 6, Built-in LED)
  • Seahawk Pro-Line 25 lb Mono Line 0.32 mm diameter

Lurer
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Luring

Post by Lurer »

To my knowlege , i think SG does not sell any Sammy Lures anymore , maybe u can order it overseas? or buy it from other ppl in the fishingkaki 2nd hand garage? saw quite a few there . Juz my 2 cents

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

What lurer said. :) Heddon Zara Spook is quite popular as well, I think you may find it in local tackle shops.

Lurer
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Luring

Post by Lurer »

Hi Peace , erm that lure is it avaliable in changi village how much it cost?? :sweatdrop:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That I am not sure. If you happen to drop by Beach Road, check out Hotspot and Lure Haven. They should carry it.

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

reel in your line, straigthen, rod tip lowered, try not to work your rod tip, instead, apply force on your fish rod as a whole. pause. see if your dog sway. most importantly pasue. wait for your dog to react. then you repeat your cranking and pressing your fish rod.

if you don't wait enough, your dog do sway but not as ideal as many would consider it an acquired skill.

use whatever you have, chug bug can do the same thing. storm, chug bug is more easily available.
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???