is a leader compulsory for doing the "walk the dog" action?

For enthusiasts using artificial lures.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Post Reply
User avatar
patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:06 pm
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D
Location: jurong west

is a leader compulsory for doing the "walk the dog" action?

Post by patrick2405 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:02 am

subject says all

User avatar
BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:53 pm
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Re: is a leader compulsory for doing the "walk the dog" acti

Post by BeachBum » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:47 am

A leader is necessary for most lures. due to the braided line that is often used and to prevent abrasion from the rocks etc.

User avatar
Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Posts: 3889
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:48 pm
Fishing interest: Handline fishing
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: is a leader compulsory for doing the "walk the dog" acti

Post by Peace » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:56 pm

What Beachbum said. Aside from that, a leader that floats is supposedly better for walk the dog as it will not drag the head of the lure down dampening the action. Heavy leaders are those like fluorocarbon as opposed to the lighter mono lines. For walk the dog, avoid using mono lines as your main line as it's very difficult to work the lure with that much stretch.

User avatar
patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:06 pm
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D
Location: jurong west

Re: is a leader compulsory for doing the "walk the dog" acti

Post by patrick2405 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:47 am

Peace wrote:What Beachbum said. Aside from that, a leader that floats is supposedly better for walk the dog as it will not drag the head of the lure down dampening the action. Heavy leaders are those like fluorocarbon as opposed to the lighter mono lines. For walk the dog, avoid using mono lines as your main line as it's very difficult to work the lure with that much stretch.
i mean can you attach the lure directly onto the swivel of the main line? will it affect the action?

User avatar
Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Posts: 3889
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:48 pm
Fishing interest: Handline fishing
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: is a leader compulsory for doing the "walk the dog" acti

Post by Peace » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:37 pm

That depends what type of line is your main line. Anyway, you shouldn't do without a leader risking the loss of your lure.

User avatar
patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:06 pm
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D
Location: jurong west

Re: is a leader compulsory for doing the "walk the dog" acti

Post by patrick2405 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:03 am

Peace wrote:That depends what type of line is your main line. Anyway, you shouldn't do without a leader risking the loss of your lure.
aiya nvm lahs i lazy tie lol so far i got no sangkot yet :eyebrow: im using braided line :o

User avatar
Leng
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 12:07 am
Fishing interest: Lure Fishing, Prawning, Inshore Fishing
Location: Bedok Reservoir

Re: is a leader compulsory for doing the "walk the dog" acti

Post by Leng » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:19 pm

i usually attach my lure directly to my main line (braided) too. The action of the lure seems pretty good. however, people use leader must have their reasons, so it wont be a must for you to follow but perhaps it really helps in getting more hits?

User avatar
patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:06 pm
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D
Location: jurong west

Re: is a leader compulsory for doing the "walk the dog" acti

Post by patrick2405 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:15 am

Leng wrote:i usually attach my lure directly to my main line (braided) too. The action of the lure seems pretty good. however, people use leader must have their reasons, so it wont be a must for you to follow but perhaps it really helps in getting more hits?
maybe, cos so far i can get abit of the action, but not sure which factor is affecting the action? like lure too light, line problem, setup, etc

Post Reply