A good place for using lures

For enthusiasts using artificial lures.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

EastSide
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Mainly fishing from jetty and canals. Keen to learn how to use lures.

A good place for using lures

Post by EastSide »

I would like to know where is the good place for using lures. Can i use them when im at a canal? And what type of lure should i buy? Im new to using lures.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: A good place for using lures

Post by Peace »

Hi EastSide, welcome to HLF. :) You can certainly use artificial lures but the result will vary from different canals. Which part of a canal are you referring to, are you talking about moonsoon canals where it's largely freshwater or near river mouth where it meets the sea?

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

and what fishes are you targeting?

EastSide
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Mainly fishing from jetty and canals. Keen to learn how to use lures.

Post by EastSide »

Canals like the one at east coast where its close to the sea. Im hoping to get a variety of fishes since im new to fishing. So far i have caught are mostly catfish

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by patrick2405 »

EastSide wrote:Canals like the one at east coast where its close to the sea. Im hoping to get a variety of fishes since im new to fishing. So far i have caught are mostly catfish
so im thinking you would be luring in brackish to saltwater? you would have to maintain your lures properly to prevent them from rusting. anyway, so far heard only barramundi aka kim bak lor aka sea bass, queenfish and maybe grouper taking lures. as for saltwater luring you would have to look for sgpu he is he king of saltwater luring here ::x: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4594

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

patrick2405 wrote:
EastSide wrote:Canals like the one at east coast where its close to the sea. Im hoping to get a variety of fishes since im new to fishing. So far i have caught are mostly catfish
so im thinking you would be luring in brackish to saltwater? you would have to maintain your lures properly to prevent them from rusting. anyway, so far heard only barramundi aka kim bak lor aka sea bass, queenfish and maybe grouper taking lures. as for saltwater luring you would have to look for sgpu he is he king of saltwater luring here ::x: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4594

oh my goodness. please don confer me with such nicks. :o

patrick 2405, i appreciate the way you appreciate my presence in the forum.

to each of their own, i just happen to prefer not using live bait, that would stained my fingers with stench and the thrilling feel of instantaneous streaming of line etc.

and i just wish to share. i don't profit from promoting lures or the techniques i used. i started off with very little knowledge, and it was a very large fortunate part of me i got to meet some anglers with very convincing theories, and knowledge.
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

EastSide
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by EastSide »

So what kind of lure and colour should i buy for being able to land those fishes? And how i do maintain those lures from not rusting? I agree with you sgpu,i dont like using live baits such as prawns or worms because its going to messy when you want to attach it to the hook.So im learning how to use lures.

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by patrick2405 »

sgpu wrote:
patrick2405 wrote:

oh my goodness. please don confer me with such nicks. :o

patrick 2405, i appreciate the way you appreciate my presence in the forum.

to each of their own, i just happen to prefer not using live bait, that would stained my fingers with stench and the thrilling feel of instantaneous streaming of line etc.

and i just wish to share. i don't profit from promoting lures or the techniques i used. i started off with very little knowledge, and it was a very large fortunate part of me i got to meet some anglers with very convincing theories, and knowledge.
your CR says it all :lol: share some tips as well? :eyebrow:
EastSide wrote:So what kind of lure and colour should i buy for being able to land those fishes? And how i do maintain those lures from not rusting? I agree with you sgpu,i dont like using live baits such as prawns or worms because its going to messy when you want to attach it to the hook.So im learning how to use lures.
just wash them with freshwater and you should be good

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

EastSide wrote:So what kind of lure and colour should i buy for being able to land those fishes? And how i do maintain those lures from not rusting? I agree with you sgpu,i dont like using live baits such as prawns or worms because its going to messy when you want to attach it to the hook.So im learning how to use lures.
after a while at the tackle shops, you'd realised. you don't have much options unless you are especially lucky that day to step in their day of new arrival. usually the very nice attractive colors to consumers (not to fishes) are snap up very quickly.

i started off with buying the available color off the shelf. and i can only say, if your spot has fish there's a good chance it would be taken. =)
if, you visit a spot without fishes you will know what i mean :D

stick to the basics. aim at structures, reefs, debris, weeds zone. it does not matter if you are cranking too slow, so slow it does not look like its swimming. most importantly, it is alluring to the fish. :D

vary different cranking speed, with pauses. crank the lure just at the surface, crank the lure deeper. go crazy with your thinking, think you understand how fish may think.

most importantly, have fun :D
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

EastSide
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by EastSide »

But i heard that there is many types of lures. Which one should i get for beginner? But i usually see lots of various colours and lures everytime i go to the tackle shop at changi village :)

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

What is your rod, reel and line specifications ?
You prefer metal spoons ? or soft plastics lures ? or hard body plastic lures ? or fishing fly ?
what fishes do you have in mind ?

EastSide
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by EastSide »

Im using a daiwa sensor platinum rod(7ft) and daiwa crossfire 3000 reel. The rod specs are line weight 8-20lbs and cast weight 15-35g. Aiming for peacock bass,grouper and catfish

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

It is not known what line you are using, so it seems 8,10,12,14,15lb lines are suitable for you applications. I use 15lb green braided Surecatch line, because it is the cheaper braided line at $10. Usually people use 10 lb braided line for peacock bass, thinner diameter line cast better. This 3000 size reel need one spool or two spool of line ? this I'm not sure. The braided line can form wind knots if you are unfamiliar with it. Use swivels if using spoons.
There are many types of lures.
Popper - use Halco Roosta popper 18g. For Tomans and maybe queen fish . This lure cast well.
Spoons -Yozuri Altima spoon, this spoon is rather expensive though. For peacock bass . I use Luhr jensen Krocodile spoon.
For Grouper - use spinnerbaits or berkeley gulp. or deep divers, but deep divers easily lost.
Hard plastic lures are usually used by anglers. Your rod is suitable for shallow diving minnow lures in the 110mm and 130mm size. These lures are in the 14g to 20g range. These lures are cast at baitfish, hoping that a bigger fish nearby attack the lure. Due to many types, I also not very sure which one to recommend. Some Maria lures( angel kiss?) or the cheaper look-alikes.
Recently, I go tackle shop, Berkeley Frenzy lures looks quite promising at $6.60, with a Toman fry design, thin body mid/deep diving. Probably for freshwater.
A lure near 8g -10g is used for the usual 500g pbs but you rod may or may not be suitable sometimes due to too light weight of the lure. Last time I use the Yozuri L minnow, floating type. For peacock bass, use a floating one when at rest is better. or something like Rapala Taildancer or other types.