Questions on crabs

Interest group for crabbers and prawners alike.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Questions on crabs

Post by ilurbtambans »

1. muz the place be muddy in order to catch crabs?, cos i noe my spot very muddy, almost sank inside
2 if muddy, can poke stick inside mud kachao crab to grab ur stik?
3 or just cast ur cages see ur luck :(
4 so far only kenna 2 muddies

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Questions on crabs

Post by Peace »

1. That's their natural habitat, they like mud because it's easy to make burrows where they hide in. Be very, very careful when going onto mud flats because some can really go deep down and it can literally sink you down without a trace. Tread slowly and carefully.

2. They don't really hide under mud, although they can. They dig burrows by the side of muddy canals or shores near water. They tend to be more active during night time and you can see them foraging along shoreline. If they're hiding in the burrow, it can be pretty hard to get them. Their burrows are deep and it takes heck lot of digging reach it, I actually tried that once myself. If the crab is close to the burrow entrance, what people do is use a piece of thick wire bent into a hook shape, insert it horizontally and turn it after it passes over the crab. That way, the hook will grab the crab from its back and you can yank it out of its burrow.

3. Cages are useful too provided you know there are crabs in that area. Try to put them around water areas where you can see crab burrows. Otherwise, just putting them along mud plains is fine too.

4. That's pretty good for a start. :) Mud crabs are not limited to muddy areas, they are most likely found in places with brackish water meaning places where freshwater meets the sea. You can even find them in monsoon canals that leads to the sea, they hide the crevices and holes along the side of the canal wall. One very good example is kallang river, or rather was... ;)

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Post by Newguy »

Juz asking have anyone tried crabbing/handlining at the canal next to Downtown east chalet coz im actually having a chalet this weekend but the fun start late which is ard 6 so i thought of trying my luck at the canal juz beside the chalet area...

Could any of u guys help me out here... Is there any crabs or fish at that canal coz its gonna be a good meal for during the BBQ session.. Doing some prawning before checking in the chalet so if i could a hand on some fish and crab its gonna be a fresh BBQ session for me and my family...Not looking for a biggies here if can juz 2 to 3 fish and crab coz doing prawning in the morning with my friends in total about 5 rod in the prawn pond... So can say if lucky goona have a lot of prawn thats the reason im looking onto 2 to 3 fish and crab only...
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

There are crabs in the area but don't put your hopes on it, bring enough food for bbq and let the crabs and fishes be something extra. Happy weekend! :cool:

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Post by Newguy »

Thanks Peace... Do heed that advice...
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...