crabbing gear

Interest group for crabbers and prawners alike.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

crabbing gear

Post by ilurbtambans »

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Re: crabbing gear

Post by dBs™ »

cool ....

I have never see anything like this being sold locally.

However ... we do have something similar and very affordable.

As for effectiveness ... well ... I bought 2 and caught nothing on it. lol !

It's a crabbing net ...
Not the usual "space ship" crab net you see.
It's a messy chunk of lose net secure with a knot at the top.
Imagine a mini size cast net ... something like that.
Sold at $1 each ...
All you have to do is stick some bait onto the net and cast into water ...
When the crabs come whack .. will get stuck onto the net.

But ... I guess we'll have a fun time removing the crab from the net too. lol ! :lol:

Sorry I do not have a pic of the crab net I am talking about but it's not difficult to find it.
It's being sold in most tackle shop nowadays.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I've not seen either nets before but the one in the video looks pretty neat. I wonder if the net will open up every time it hits the seabed, or is it possible that the crab can still somehow squeeze into it when folded. 0.o

You can check out this thread at FNR, there's some interesting alternative you might want to try. Not sure if this is what dBs is referring to.

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

lol , i have that net too. just dont like it always kenna char beehoon D:
anyways, i'm planning a crabbing session next sat 12/12/09 at ubin, gonna try new spot :D
btw which is better the rectangular or the rounded crab cage, cos the rounded 1 i feel that the netting is very frail, now my cages so many lobang ><

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yea, that looks like you could really spend some time on for each crab. :lol: I've not used the round type before, but I tihnk the rectangular one is bigger ya? Since you're going to Ubin, you probably want to consider the size/weight and how many you can carry for each type and decide which ones you want to bring.

Those holes in the netting can be patched using fishing lines, but I guess it's a pain to do if it breaks too often. Did the netting break because the crabs tore them or because it was drag along snaggy bottom? If the place is too snaggy, then bring the rectangular one. :)

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

i find that after using fishing line to mend the net, the net somehow loses its bounciness D: is there such thing as a net mending kit?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Could it be that you mend the net too tightly? Leave some slack (not just close the hole )so the it doesn't stretch the net on the whole. Then again if you have to patch too many holes, it will be hard for the net to retain its original form. If you're talking about the lines on the net being too rigid, it could be due to prolong exposure to the sun.

I don't know about any mending kit, maybe someone who uses long nets or cast nets can shed some light on net mending. :sweatdrop:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

ic, thx for all the help u guys given me^^
anything need to ask just ask, den dbs and peace always reply without fail :lol:
cheers
PS. any1 wanna follow me next sat go crabbing? i noe a few potential spot for muddies

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

We just try to help whatever we can and frankly, I don't know much about crabbing. Maybe you can share a few tips and tricks here on crabbing with the rest of us here. :nod: Thank you very much for the invitation, but I'm afraid I won't be able to join you. Good luck on your crabbing trip, hope you get some big muddies! ;)

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

hmm, sounds gd :D any formats for me to follow?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Nah, you don't have to follow any particular format. Just make sure it is straight to the point and easy to understand. You don't have to do all at once, just add new information as you get along. When there's sufficient data, I can compile/format for you and put it on the main site.

You might want to include information such as
- short introduction to crabbing
- suitable tide and time to catch crabs
- different type of baits that can be used
- types of crabbing method (trapping / netting / hook / etc)
- how should one deploy the crab traps effectively
- the types of crabs that can be caught
- stuff to bring along when you go crabbing
- handling and tying crabs
- how to keep crabs alive
- how to tell if the crab has meat or not

These are a few that I can think of, I'm sure you can come up with more. Maybe you can start a thread on crabbing resource and other members can chip in their experience too. :)

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

nice!! will try to start on this, hope that more ppl will get hooked to crabbing :D
but some parts i not sure, like tieing ._. i just dump em inside pail under shade, but if flower den put water

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Don't worry, we are just here to share what we know. :nod: I know how to tie crabs but I'm not sure it's the best way to do it or not. I've seen people able hold the crab with one hand and tying with the other, I could never do that. I always had to use my leg to hold down the crab. Rubber bands will suffice for flower crabs, they're not as strong as mud crabs.

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

yea,my friends just went to ubin to crab, found out that the spot i was suppose to go next wk after reccieng thru google earth, old ubin maps, and other ppls cr
>.> it has been closed off for some bird sanctuary D: now finding other spots, any regular ubin kakis? need help on certain parts of the map

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

ZOMG I FOUND TIS >=D
getting it in ard a week :p