CR 30th May (Sembawang) 6th June (Punggol Jetty)

Interest group for crabbers and prawners alike.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

law
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Crabbing

CR 30th May (Sembawang) 6th June (Punggol Jetty)

Post by law »

Date: 30 May
Time: 1400-1630
Venue: Sembawang Jetty

Second time at Sembawang Jetty and nobody was around! Huat ah! So set up 1 x square cage and 5 x square nets. Result was 20 over small crabs. Some were returned to the sea and some were brought back for dinner.

From this:
to..

Then today dropped by Punggol Jetty.
The parking area looks like got a lot of construction boarding. But just walk towards the guard house and there's a lobang through to the jetty itself!
Looks nice.. but..
Totally miserable returns. 3 "decent size" flower crabs (bobian have to make do already), and 6 more even smaller baby crabs returned to the sea to grow and populate the crab community at punggol. Was there from 1330 to 1700. Bite rate is extremely low, and crabs were damn small! But there were some anglers there and they caught 3 "gao he (fish in hokkien)" (dunno what's it called in english). Maybe due to the construction huh, the water was super clear, but not much returns.

Will check out the Kelong Walk soon! :D
Last edited by law on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

alibabaCrabber
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: anything

Re: CR 30th May (Sembawang) 6th June (Punggol Jetty)

Post by alibabaCrabber »

well done bro nice flowers u have there..
camping here for your kelong walk cr liow :D
btw can make yr pix abit bigger its like kinda small leh.

law
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by law »

thanks bro! made the pics slightly bigger already.. haha now try to explore more places before work starts! hopefully can find a good spot! :sweatdrop:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

nice catches bro :D slowly on your path to a crabber le :thumbsup:
from what me and alibaba found out, crabs tend to be more active on the rising tide than on the outgoing tide

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Whoa ... the crabbing section full of activities these days. :thumbsup:

tamban is right on that crabs are more active during rising tides.
In fact, they are most active during high tide ...
Why ? For food lor ...
They usually venture inshore during full tides to look for food ...
Knowing this habit ... you should know when to go hunt for muddy ! ::x:
They will come find you during high tides ... lol !

Now you know why there are people walking along the shores with a torch during night time.
O yes ... night time is also another golden hours to look for them.
Under the ambush of darkness ... it's party time for the crabs.

Good job guys ... keep this section moving. :nod:

law
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by law »

Hello bros! According to the NEA Tidetable for 9th June
0345----2.6----H
1033----0.6----L
1722----2.4----H
2309----1.1----L

So using the logic that more crabs come in on the rising tide.. the best period of time to go crabbing on 9th June is 1600 to 1800 ah? Or 0200-0400 for the nocturnal brothers. Is this how I'm supposed to read the tide table? :beer:

alibabaCrabber
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: anything

Post by alibabaCrabber »

tamban and mi normally will choose to go at 10.30am set up everything just in time to catch the up coming tide than pack up ard 5pm.

btw u can deploy yr traps ard rocky areas thats where they like to hide.
if after few pull ups still no crabs change spots, but somtimes out goin
tide do have crabs like during CNY i caught 1 big muddy durin out goin tide.
well i belive u need luck sometimes..

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I don't think it's too often you'll find Sembawang jetty without crabbers, or at least I've never seen it. Some of the crabs are of very decent size. :nod: I'm looking forward to your boardwalk catches as well, good luck, law. Oh that gao-he they were talking about were groupers. ;)

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

law wrote:Hello bros! According to the NEA Tidetable for 9th June
0345----2.6----H
1033----0.6----L
1722----2.4----H
2309----1.1----L

So using the logic that more crabs come in on the rising tide.. the best period of time to go crabbing on 9th June is 1600 to 1800 ah? Or 0200-0400 for the nocturnal brothers. Is this how I'm supposed to read the tide table? :beer:
normally me and alibaba go for the 1033 0.6 till 1722 2.4. 30mins prior till the max tide which is 2.4, we'll slowly pack our gears and get ready to call it a day, hope this helps :D

law
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by law »

Super fail outing to Kelong Walk.

Reached there at about 1300, left at 1800.
Only caught 4 crabs of this size.. Returned back to the sea. No point bringing back la :cry:

Alot of rocks too. Especially the side facing the Changi Beach Club. so new crabbers must be careful, dun anyhow tug. 2 of my bentos decommissioned haha.

Surprises of the day! Fishes actually do get caught by my bento nets. Dun exactly understand how they get caught, so i figured they must be extremely sway to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when i pulled the nets up.

According to the laojiao ahpek there.. the waters at kelong walk are slightly deeper, so bento nets will not work as effectively. (by the time u pull it out they would have swam away!) u must have the semi roundish nets that bro tamban had in one of his crs.

but his business that day oso not good la. the time i was there, he managed to land 3 flower crabs, but his ones are really big. so worth his time la!

Oh, and while ur there, check out the malay dude that spends 24hrs at kelong walk. he even sleeps there! if u check his crabbing stash, his flower crabs are really huge.. bigger than those in sheng shiong! when am i gonna land crabs that size?! :rant: hehe. thanks for the tips bros, will see what i can do next time!

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

thumbs up for the cnr :thumbsup: let the smaller ones grow and catch them another day
changi boardwalk was the very first place i started my crabbing, all thx to this chinese uncle who frequents there only or sat/sun cant rmb which day..
he taught me on how to handle flower crabs, how secure the rope to the cages properly, using copper wire to secure my fishes to the cage/bento( i tore up alot of wire cos of tis :X) maybe i should pay him a visit someday ;)

heres another tip for you, if u dont mind lugging heavy loads that is.. not all the times you can find railings for you to tie your bento to, and there is a limit on how far you can throw it out. u can consider getting afew to test water at certain places where the bento cannot be utilised as the cage can be thrown further :)

and if you are scared that the crab cant go into your cage heres a mud crab the size of my size 10 slipper, tho alibaba ever encountered once the crab was too big to fit the hole, that it was feeding outside the cage @.@

law
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by law »

nice muddle! oh by the way, how do u keep ur flower crabs overnight ah? is there a way u can keep them alive till the next day? they usually die quite fast ah..

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

put them in a net and submerge them into the sea :D if not u can put them in a pail with a pump and you need to change the water regularly as they regurgitate what they have eaten for their last meal

law
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by law »

Image3
morale boosting trip back to sembawang jetty today! caught 20 over from 0945 to 1300. sent a few back to the sea to grow and populate, but this one is my pride and joy haha! first time landing a bigger than usual flower crab. :D

but bad thing is my parents dun wanna eat crab today, they wanna eat them tmr. so right now they're all in a pail with the air pump. hope they survive in the seawater till tmr. they cant take tap water right?

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

i would rather u put them in the fridge, as you still need to change the water every now and then to prevent the water from fouling up =/ at least in the fridge the meat will still be firm unless they have been long dead resulting in either watery/flaky meat