Crabbing spot tips needed

Interest group for crabbers and prawners alike.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ThePractice
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Crabbing, Prawning, Cast Netting

Crabbing spot tips needed

Post by ThePractice »

Hi All, I have been crabbing in public places for about 7 years now, but lately my nets have been empty and I'm thinking about finding myself a secret spot. I'm thinking of bashing into mangroves but I don't know what to look out for in a good spot. Red Mangroves, Fallen trees, concrete structures, mud lobster mounds, slow or fast current, soft or stable mud, well lit or shady areas, deep or shallow water?

Also, I have read a lot of crabbing guides, including the one here. Its one of the better ones I've seen, good job!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Crabbing spot tips needed

Post by Peace »

Hi ThePractice, welcome to HLF. Generally, mangroves and mudflats are good spots for hunting mud crabs but there aren't too many of those places, especially the secluded ones. Mangroves in protected areas like Simpang one of the few places left that holds good population of mud crabs. Ubin is another good place but it takes a lot of traveling and effort.

You can try the small patch of mangrove near yishun dam, there's a private small jetty where many boats are moored. The crabs you find there may sometimes be those are released by religious groups though. Another place is Pandan river just beside the flyover, on the opposite mudflat where many boats are moored. Take note that both these places are near reservoir floodgates and you must be careful when treading in those waters. It's good to have someone to go with so you can watch each other's back.

ThePractice
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Crabbing, Prawning, Cast Netting

Re: Crabbing spot tips needed

Post by ThePractice »

Hi Peace, thank you for welcoming me to the forum. Your answer is really informative and I really appreciate your effort :thumbsup: but I don't think I'll go to the west side for the time being though, its a little too far. My usual spots are at Sungei Changi, Sungei Api Api, Punggol End and if I feel rich, Ubin. My best spots were Sungei serangoon, Sungei Punggol and Kallang river but those are gone now :cry:

Anyway, I look forward to contributing my CRs to this forum!