help in handlining

For anglers who handles the fishing lines with bare hands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

help in handlining

Post by ilurbtambans »

hey guys, i nid help. i wanna try handlining at bjt, but according to my dad he said that my 60lbs and 80lbs handline is too much, poor bait presentation. so was thinking, should i get a 30lbs or cont using my 60lb and 80lbs? am trying to target to resident fishies under the jetty and grouper :D

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: help in handlining

Post by Peace »

Hi ilurbtambans, welcome to HLF. What your dad says has some truth in it but it all depends on what you're targeting and how you're using it. Jetty fishing, especially a straight drop down can be very challenging because fish can dive into structures in a very short span of time. This is the typical behaviour of groupers, take and dash for cover.

As such, it is not unreasonable at all to use 60 or 80lbs handline. If your line is manned (ie. you're holding it), you can go for less(30 is good) but your leader line must remain strong to counter the abrasion from below. By the way, groupers don't really care about how heavy of line you use so long the bait is attractive and of big portion.

What's even more challenging is to fish against the current where your line will tip back under the jetty which is a very vulnerable position. But that's where the fishes are. ;)

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

wow, thx for info bro ^^ quick reply too. hmm cos on that day i lent my frens all my rods, suddenly all wan fish, so i say come along, den after i go plan. alamak, no rod for me to play. so no choice take out my3 80lbs and 2 60lbs handline :D bait would be live tambans and dead prawns on apollo rig. size 1/0 hook leader will be 80lbs. will drop lines at the far end of the jetty

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, that'll work out fine for you and your friends. I'm sure you've seen people parking handlines along the jetty either for ikan parangs on float or straight down for groupers. Live tambans are excellent choice of bait for both cases. Good luck at Bedok Jetty. :clover:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

power la bro, 2 thumbs up^^ fast reply again. for apollo rig how long should i make the branches? 30cm? cos handline is kinda stiff, especially high poundage

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Don't use excessively long branch if you're fishing along with the current because the bait will flow away from the jetty. 30cm is fine, maybe a little more to give the tambans a little more freedom to swim around and stay alive longer. I wouldn't recommend more than 2 feet length.

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

kk, thx alot bro. u answered alot of my questions^^ cheers. trip is on the 14sept at bjt, morning till evening. wanna tag along? :DD
i go sleep 1st, nitez tmr den ask some more questions if i have in mind

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You're welcome but I am sorry to say I won't be able to join you for your trip. Yes, do get some sleep, there's plenty of time for questions and answers later. :)