Handline Set up

For anglers who handles the fishing lines with bare hands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ahwin
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Handline Set up

Post by ahwin »

Hey guys,

Am new to this forum and would like to really start playing around with handlines, which can keep me busy while my rods are casted out =X May i check with you guys if it is bad to use braids for handlines, as i do not see anyone using handlines with braids. Is it because it is more painful to use ? or simply not as abrasion resistant?

Thanks for having a look at this thread looking forward for your replies =)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Handline Set up

Post by Peace »

Hi ahwin, welcome to HLF. :) Yes, handline is a good way to keep yourself occupied while waiting on your surf rod for some action. I've not personally seen people using braided handlines but have heard some prefer using it, not sure why. But the most deterring reason why people don't use it is that it cuts your fingers more easily.

The surface of the braided line is rough compared to mono, thus more friction. Braided lines being typically low in diameter also means you get cut more easily. You can easily test this by running a mono and braided line between your fingers at increasing speed to see which one hurts more. ;)

Another reason is because braided lines have no stretch. This can be good or bad depends on where you use this, but more often this is bad for handlining. With no stretch to absorb sudden strong takes by biggies, you're guaranteed a line cut. But on the other hand you lose a lot of sensitiveness on mono when you fish deep (due to its elasticity nature). In such cases, braided may be considered but wearing gloves is highly recommended.

Lastly, braided is typically more expensive plus handlines wear out faster because anglers often leave the lines on the floor. It's simply more economical to use mono. :p

Abrasion resistant wise, it depends on the quality and make of the mono lines. Hard mono lines are typically more abrasion resistant but the material composite plays a part too. In either case, we use always use a leader so we don't have to worry about main line's abrasion resistance...most of the time anyway.

ahwin
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by ahwin »

thanks for the reply peace, anyway am thinking of just buying those ready made handlines which comes with like a 40 pound line do you guys think that it is sufficient ? Particularly, for jetty . Was thinking of bringing my handline to farmway 3 to play around, just that must bring gloves i think anyone tried it out before? Playing with the meow meow sure dam shiok on handline ! maybe like tug of war !

Best Regards,
ahwin

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Yep, 40 lbs is definitely enough to handle the fishes at fw3. If you're not experienced with handlines, it's a good idea to always have your gloves on. You may also need to check with fw3 if they allow the use of handlines, many fishing ponds do not allow the use of it. Have fun with the tug of war with the cats! :D

For jetties, I would advise minimum of 15lbs if you're holding the line, 30lbs if you're leaving it unattended. So you're 40lbs will work fine on jetties too.