Handlining at BJT

For anglers who handles the fishing lines with bare hands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

East Addict
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Handlining at BJT

Post by East Addict »

To brother Peace...was at BJT today using my friend's handline to kill time as I didn't bring my tackles along...unfortunately, catch was zero. As I'm more of a rod person, perhaps you could enlighten me on the finer points of handline fishing? Especially concerning structures like jetties.....Set-up used is a simple hongkong hook with a live tamban. [Panicked tamban make really entertaining live baits kekeke]

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

East Addict, handlining is feasible at Bedok Jetty although rod and reel can accomplish the same thing. It isn't necessary to use live bait on Hong Kong Hook since part of the principle of it is controlling the movement of the bait via line control. This has the advantage of mimicking a bait yet giving more opportunity for the fish to strike when needed.

When using handline, you have to be hardworking and move around constantly to find fish. Drop the line down near pillars where groupers are likely to hide. For this type of jetty fishing, it's advisable to use stronger than necessary line as you can't afford to let the fish swim further beneath the jetty, the abrasion alone would snap the line easily. So reaction must be fast and brute force is often necessary.

You may need to constantly move around the jetty to probe for fish below, and there's no need to stay too long in one area unless you know there's fish below. You may also want to try prawns as bait instead to increase the chance of catching other types of fish, such as tuskfish or grunters.

Have fun handlining. :grin:

East Addict
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by East Addict »

Hahaha...Bro peace sure is knowledgeable. Actually, I was using a live tamban cuz my absent-minded acquaintance didn't bring anything else...his idea of a fishing trip at the jetty is to jig for tamban, tamban and more tamban -_-'. Have also tried prawns at the jetty b4....didn't seem to work though. Did see a fella nearby pull up a rotund but tiny orange-spotted grouper about 5cm long...sadly, he failed to CNR it. Sigh...no wonder groupers are getting rare at the jetty nowadays....

gonefishin
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by gonefishin »

i realised that the rig is really important .. i change a few rigs and one got a hook up.. try to vary that... i pre-made a few different lengths and style
http://fishforfood.blogspot.com
Please practice catch and release. "Remember, if we kill it today we can't catch it tomorrow."