20lbs handline

For anglers who handles the fishing lines with bare hands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

fishemup
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Shore fishing, Canal fishing and Handline fishing.

20lbs handline

Post by fishemup »

Hi all, I am very new to handline fishing and would like to give it a try.

I bought 2 round plastic spools, one with 20lbs line ($2.50) and one with 60lbs line ($4.00)

May I know 20lbs line can withstand a fish of what size and weight as in kilograms?

Thanks in advance if somebody can help answer this.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: 20lbs handline

Post by Peace »

Hi fishemup, welcome to HLF. The answer is subjected to how and where the line is used. But generally, a 20lbs line will let you handle a 1-2kg fish rather forgivingly. In theory, a tested 20lbs should let you lift a 20lbs(9kg) fish out of water. In practical use, the line strength is weaken by knots, abrasion and subject to sudden strain of fish dashing and the angler pulling. It is up to the angler to maintain the condition of the line and how he or she controls the line while fighting a fish. There will be circumstances when angler will have to put excessive strain on the line to steer the fish away from cover (such as preventing fish from going into structures or under the jetty). In such places, you may want to use a leader line(and possibly overall tackle as well) with higher poundage (or abrasion resistance).

fishemup
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Shore fishing, Canal fishing and Handline fishing.

Post by fishemup »

Thanks Peace, really appreciate for the info. By the way, i saw some of your post and realise you are an expert in handlines, amazing catch you got there. I'll try my luck this weekend, hope i can get a least one or two fish using handline.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I have used handline quite a bit but I wouldn't call myself an expert. I personally think that handlines have a steeper learning curve than rod and reel, it takes patience and passion to learn and enjoy using it. Good luck on your fishing trip! ;)

BabyVal
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Love surf fishing, handline fishing and pawning.

Post by BabyVal »

fishemup wrote:Hi all, I am very new to handline fishing and would like to give it a try.

I bought 2 round plastic spools, one with 20lbs line ($2.50) and one with 60lbs line ($4.00)

May I know 20lbs line can withstand a fish of what size and weight as in kilograms?

Thanks in advance if somebody can help answer this.
Hi can I know where you bought them at?

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

hi babyval,

the thread goes back in Nov 2012. you might want to try messaging the forummer in private if he is not replying in time. :D
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???