Interested in handline fishing

For anglers who handles the fishing lines with bare hands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

BabyVal
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Love surf fishing, handline fishing and pawning.

Interested in handline fishing

Post by BabyVal »

Hi everybody. Val here and I'm interested ion handline fishing however I don't know where to start and even how to set up the stuffs!! Can anyone guide me? >.<?and also where to get those items needed at a cheap price?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Interested in handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Hi Val, welcome to HLF. While handline are typically cheap and easy to buy, it will still depend on where and what fishes you're trying to catch with it. If you've been to Bedok Jetty before, you'll probably see a number of people using handlines and securing the spool to the railings. Those are probably the easiest way to utilize handlines. Most of them are using it with float rigs targeting for queenfish, wolf herring, mackerels and other pelagic fishes. There will also be those who do a direct drop using a bottom rig and a heavy sinker to fish for Barramundi, groupers or parrots that lurks very close beneath the jetty. Both methods use live tambans that are readily caught at the jetty.

Take note that when you secure a spool with some tension but at the same time it can still rotate and draw out line should a big fish take your line. You can start with 30lbs main line if you're using float rigs, and 50-100lbs if you want the direct drop method. Attach a bell to the spool so you know there's a fish pulling, and react to it as soon as you can. You might want to secure the bell too.

There are also the more finesse side of handlining which requires you to work the line, which requires you to hold the lines at all times. It all goes down to whether you want like the 'sit down and wait' or actively seeking out fish kind of fishing. You should elaborate on your expectations so we can recommend the type of tackles accordingly.

All tackles shops will carry mono lines you need for handlines and most will also sell the spool too. If you want to get those that are ready spooled handlines, you can also get them at certain NTUCs that sells fishing tackles. Alternatively, you can get a plastic spool for a dollar or so and mono lines that comes in wrap for cheap. You will have to spool them yourself and you have to be careful not to end it up in a bird's nest.

BabyVal
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by BabyVal »

Thanks a lot peace bro.... Totally new to fishing. Only slightly experienced in tamban fishing haha... Erm which fishes are tastier for Chinese? Because I heard that Chinese cannot eat queen fish. Maybe lookin for grouper. But so far been at jetty for 3 weeks and only seen ppl catching queen fishes... And I'm sorry but what is the difference between a sinker and a weight?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Queenfish aren't the more favoured fish locally but they're edible, I guess it goes down to how you cook it. Some Chinese don't eat them due to religious belief about a deity leaving their 'fingerprint' marks on the fish. There are people who seems to be allergic to eating this fish, giving them rashes and itches. I can't confirm this though.

Generally, Groupers and Snappers will have good meat quality if that's what you're after. However, if you're fishing at Bedok Jetty the chances of landing a decent size grouper or snapper is typically lower than a Queenfish.

Sinker and weight refers to the same thing, at least in local context. It is just a weighted object to sink your bait to the desired depth, so you can see how these two words work together. :lol:

BabyVal
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by BabyVal »

Peace wrote:Queenfish aren't the more favoured fish locally but they're edible, I guess it goes down to how you cook it. Some Chinese don't eat them due to religious belief about a deity leaving their 'fingerprint' marks on the fish. There are people who seems to be allergic to eating this fish, giving them rashes and itches. I can't confirm this though.

Generally, Groupers and Snappers will have good meat quality if that's what you're after. However, if you're fishing at Bedok Jetty the chances of landing a decent size grouper or snapper is typically lower than a Queenfish.

Sinker and weight refers to the same thing, at least in local context. It is just a weighted object to sink your bait to the desired depth, so you can see how these two words work together. :lol:
Hmm but Any photos to show exactly how to tie?.. Oh yea. I'm aiming for the nicer meat fishers. Queen fish pantang cannot eat haha. Btw so happy I caught a hand size snapper today!!!!! With a 6.50 rod hahahaha

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

If you want to fish bottom, you can use Apollo Rig. You can use tamban as bait if you're targeting for bigger ones. Palm sized fish may require you to cut the bait into smaller pieces or use prawn meat instead. Live or dead bait isn't the most crucial. That said, float rigs or live baiting can get you good fish too. Tengirri and Saitoh are examples.

Congrats on landing the snapper, do you have a picture of it to share with us? :)

BabyVal
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by BabyVal »

Peace wrote:If you want to fish bottom, you can use Apollo Rig. You can use tamban as bait if you're targeting for bigger ones. Palm sized fish may require you to cut the bait into smaller pieces or use prawn meat instead. Live or dead bait isn't the most crucial. That said, float rigs or live baiting can get you good fish too. Tengirri and Saitoh are examples.

Congrats on landing the snapper, do you have a picture of it to share with us? :)
Hmm wanna upload but how no idea how hahaha

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You can upload the picture from your computer to http://imgur.com/ and copy the "BBCode (message boards & forums)" code and paste it in your post.

Example, the code generated after you upload the image will look something like this:

Code: Select all

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QFRlbUR.jpg[/IMG]
When you put this code into your post, the image will appear: