Boat rods as jigging rod

Discussion for varies types of offshore fishing including bottom, trolling, popping and jigging.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

Boat rods as jigging rod

Post by noobANGLER »

Can I use a boat rod to jig?If have any jigging rods spinnning ones,recomend some to me that is less than $90.And jigging reels also spinning ones less than $90. :o

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Boat rods as jigging rod

Post by Peace »

Jigging rods can be considered a type of boat rod, or are you referring to 'bottom fishing' rods? Veteran bottom anglers will tell you that boat rods are not suitable for jigging, but I guess we need to see the exact model of rod we're talking about. Boat rods usually have a stiff backbone as opposed to jigging rods that tend to parabolic.

While I have no experience in offshore jigging, I believe that a rod with stiffer backbone makes jigging a little more tiring to use compared to one that bends closer to the butt. Jigging rods also tend to have a longer butt which makes jigging a little more comfortable.

So in short, it is usually okay to use jigging rods as bottom rods but not the other way round. However, what you will find in tackleshop these days are mostly jigging rods anyway, so it's not difficult to find one that suits you. At this price range you might want to take a look at Eupro jigging rods, they have quite a few models you can choose from. You can take a look at its popular Salty Chief for light jigging and Hammer II jig for heavier applications.

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

usually, for my money. i would consider 2nd reel but never 2nd rod.

2nd reel, you can inspect on the cosmetic for damages/ corrosion, and crank feel the bearings if the conditions are alright. whereas for a rod, you can never see the fine crack that awaits the next cast to break up in 2.

selling section of FK for one? who knows you might get exceptionally lucky? :lol:
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

get a expert graphic pe 2-4 or a 3-6 rod. can b a jigging or light bottom rod.

for me, i get from more reputable brand. i dun wan at the end of the time.. during the off shore trip, rod broken... den u will lose the mood to fish.

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

It really depends on where u are playing bottom fishing and where u are jigging.
For bottom fishing jigging rods(around PE 2-4, 3-6), strong enough to withstand acceptable sinker size, the recommended or optimum jig weight will be around 150-300g. This is sufficient to do mid-heavy deep sea jigging which u will be using jigs around 200-300g etc but not light jigging(around PE1-3) in singapore, malaysia which u will be using jigs around 40-100g etc.
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Post by Oinkie »

noobANGLER wrote:Can I use a boat rod to jig?If have any jigging rods spinnning ones,recomend some to me that is less than $90.And jigging reels also spinning ones less than $90. :o

Jigging rods can be used as bottom rods. But be aware the maximum weight on the rods. Just read the labels some rods may state PE 5 but their weight rating goes up till 240gm. The backbone may not be as stiff as the boat rods.

If you want to use it for bottoming a size 14 sinker will not be problem but anything more you will put more load onto the rod and fighting a fish will not be fun. Had tried a 500gm on a PE 5 rod maximum rating 250gm, the rod bent to also a 'C' and bringing the fish up the boat is no fun due to the softer backbone than boat rods.

Cheers