Offshore Gear

Discussion for varies types of offshore fishing including bottom, trolling, popping and jigging.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Offshore Gear

Post by Burpp »

HI all,
i will be going for a local offshore trip at the southern island area. Currently i have a Eupro Salty Chief 10-25lbs rod pair with Shimano Elf 3000(loaded with 30lbs Powerpro line) is this set up good enough for this trip? As this is the first time i am going for an offshore fishing trip.

My friend actually intro me to get a Eurpo Hammer pair with Omoto VS12.

Should i get a new set up?

Thanks!

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Re: Offshore Gear

Post by stout infantfish »

The set up is good enough for our local waters,what do do think peace?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

It's generally fine if you don't have to use beyond 5 to 6 oz sinker. The Salty Chief is suitable for jigging and okay for bottom fishing. If you're fishing at shipwrecks or doing night fishing, you might want to get something heavier. Hammer Jig offers a wider range of rod weight but if you're just doing a typical day fishing at southern islands, the hammer jig won't offer much advantage, if any. The overhead reel (Vs12) will give you more cranking power though, it'll be useful when you decide to fish with heavier sinkers or fighting bigger fish.

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Burpp »

Hey thanks alot!

By the way, What rig should i use? Since i will be using my Shimano Elf 3000 with SaltyChief, should i just stick to apollo rig or should i use ranggong? I will be doing night fishing at southern island.

Please advice. This is my virgin offshore trip :lol:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Offshore Gear

Post by ilurbtambans »

For a night offshore trip i dont think that your curret setup is heavy enough. I would recommend pe 2-4 or 3-6. As for the rigs, so far i have went for 2 night trips only and used rangongs on both occasions

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Like tamban said, you'll probably want a heavier setup for night fishing. Rangong is usually the preferred rig for night fishing as live squids are often used as bait, the long trace from the ranggong gives natural bait presentation. And if you're chuck your rod in the holder while you rest in the night, rangong will be a better choice too.

The need for heavier tackle is not so much for fighting fish (except big stingrays or fishing at wrecks), but rather to handle heavier sinkers. Night fishing almost always require anchoring and you'll feel the full effect of the current unlike many boats that do drifting during the day.

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Burpp »

Thanks guy's for the advice.

Actually i saw one EUPRO 20-40LBS line wt boat rod, is it good enough?

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

yep, thats good. my first heavy duty offshore gear was a eupro hammer jig paired with shimano charter special w 40lbs braid

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Offshore Gear

Post by Oinkie »

Actually I would have gone higher maybe a size 5k Shimano size reel. The elf 5k pg is pretty decent max drag of 10kg. Go for a pe5 rod, good enough for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk