changi offshore first time

Discussion for varies types of offshore fishing including bottom, trolling, popping and jigging.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: jetty fishing, handline fishing, random fishing (literally)

changi offshore first time

Post by Icylines »

This is probably gonna be my first time doing offshore fishing and I'm looking for a specific rod and reel to use for fishing
I currently have no rod suitable and a shimano aernos xt5000 with 20lb mono
What rod should I get? Under 100$
Also for reel I've been looking into the shimano nasci
Just wondering is the shimano nasci 4k the same as the shimano nasci c5k with a smaller spool?
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: changi offshore first time

Post by Peace »

I have not kept myself up to date with the latest tackles but for under $100, I would recommend Eupro Salty Fighter or Salty Chief. They're jigging rods but they should do fine for general fishing. Salty fighter is softer which helps with better hook ups, Salty chief is better when you need to use heavier sinker and wrestle down a tough fish. Alternatively, there's the Penn Powerstick sea ranger. Nobody I know seems to like it though, probably because the rod is fat, ugly and heavy. In my opinion it's a better rod for bottom fishing than a lot of jigging rods out there.

Nasci is a good reel for its price but if you have a budget constraint, I would spend the money on a quality braided line for offshore fishing first. Mono lines loses sensitivity quickly as you fish into deeper waters.

Anyway, the older models of Nasci 4000 and c5000's only difference is in their line capacity. The latest Nascis come with x-ship feature and higher drag. The 4000 seems to be only available in HG, that is high gear ratio while c5000 comes in a low gear ratio and also higher line capacity. The 4000hg can be immediately appreciated by its higher line retrieval rate while the advantage of c5000 will be apparent when retrieving heavier jigs/sinkers and fighting bigger fishes.

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Icylines »

Thinking of using it for inshore use as well and the 4kHG seems like the btr option incase i decide i want to do some shore luring?
thinking of using it for live baiting tamban too
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

A decently built 4k reel can handle majority forms of local fishing. A small lighter and reel is better for luring but if you can only have one reel, the 4k is probably an ideal size.

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Icylines »

for just normal pier and jetty casting, is there an advantage of using either one?
since they are both the same weight and price it seems its all down to high gear or more line
also what would be suitable amount of line to be used for jetty fishing? 180m+ or 200m+?
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

For shore fishing, I would get high gear ratio (hg) especially when you use longer rods. Longer rods have bigger strokes when you need to pump a fish up and the higher gear ratio will help you keep up the slack line quickly. And it's also easier on the angler if you have to do repeated long casting and retrieval.

For live baiting, an overhead reel with line out alarm or a baitrunner reel for spinning can be a better choice. These reels allow live baits to be rigged with very low drag so that fishes can take the bait and run without getting too spooked. You can then immediately switch to your actual preset drag to set the hook and fight the fish.

Don't be too worried about live baiting with a typical spinning reel though, they'll do fine most of the time, just not optimized for live baiting. For jetty fishing, 200m of line is plenty, a typical loaded rig with sinker and bait, most people would be casting way less than 100m away. You might want to bring your reel to the tackle shop and ask them how much line your reel can take for a particular brand and poundage you're interested in. They will give you will recommend you one with appropriate length that will fill your spool to the brim with minimal or no wastage.

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Icylines »

However the nasci. C5k with a larger spool although awith a lower gear ratio, doesn't the line retrieval amount more?and is it about equal in the end?
I seem to like 5k reels more than 4k ones I just feel its more balanced with my 8ft heavy action rod (shimano ultegra GS )
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

My guess is that 4k and 5k have the same 'size' spool, just that 5k have a deeper spool to hold more line. That is to say, both reel should have the same line retrieval rate if they are to have the same gear ratio. With the difference in gear ratio, 4k(5.8:1) retrieves 93cm per handle turn, while 5k(4.7:1) retrieves 80cm.

It all depends on your application to choose between the trade off for each reel.
4k: Higher speed, lower line capacity, lower torque
5k: Lower speed, higher line capacity, higher torque

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Icylines »

so that would mean that the nasci c5k would be easier to crank fish up from a boat while the 4k HG would be more useful with longer rods?
would there be much difference if i use the nasci c5k with my 8ft shimano ultegra GS compared to using a nasci 4khg

also i would suppose the nasci c5k would be better fo off shore use

Thank you for your help i really appreciate it! :) :) :) :) :)
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, it'll be easier for 5k to crank but it's probably for fishes that are about 1kg or less that doesn't fight very hard. If you're thinking of going into jigging or luring in the future, high speed reels are better suited for those types of fishing. For a 8' rod, I still think you won't feel much of a difference in winding speed between the two reels. For local offshore bottom, it all depends on the water depth and current. For night fishing or spots with strong current for example, 5k will make your life slightly easier.

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Icylines »

yep thanks for the advice
i intend to use this reel for shore fishing, bottom fishing, and also intend to use this at chia soon kelong
with a possible upcoming trip in july!
will post CR
think i will get the c5000 size, i seem to like the 5000 sizes for shimano reels HAHA :) :) :) :)
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Good luck on your fishing trip! :clover:

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Icylines »

Thanks got a salty fighter for the use, its suitable for changi offshore too right?
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Salty fighter will do just fine for Changi waters. :)

mtt
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: pond & sea

Post by mtt »

For 1st time or newbies, do not spent too much on equipment. Or go into too deep water. Fish around the fish farm or banks for atick-off. Wait till you can take the rock & roll . go for deeper water and better eqipment.
Just for a infor, I have been fishing on a boat in SG, Malaysia, Indonesia with water depth from 20m to 50m but only using handline. 20 lbs to 120 lbs mono lines. I learn from it. If any fk out there hear of DABO SINGKIP. That was my favorite place.