Aquarium fish

Off Topic. Place for small talk, sharing a few laughs and organizing fishing trips. Topics will be selectively pruned.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Aquarium fish

Post by BeachBum »

channa lucius( forest snakehead)
rasbora einthovenii
Have anyone come across these fishes at aquarium shops ? I think it is quite uncommon, but just wondering if anyone have seen them ? Does it eat alot of feeder fish ?

I'm thinking of keeping some Harlequin rasboras and a few other small fishes . Now I'm keeping comet goldfish..

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Aquarium fish

Post by Peace »

I don't frequent aquarium shops but I had come across these fishes on my hiking trips. :p You'll probably find better answers at Arofantics.

Is this the rasbora you're looking for?

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

Yes, I think this is the fish. Only saw the top view before. There is this pond somewhere that has tea colour water. When it rains, the water becomes clear, some fishes with black stripe can be seen in the pond. They seem to be mating, depositing eggs on the underside of submerged plants and grass. It is possible that I mistaken the fish too. This rasbora is a local species right ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, this and the harlequin exists locally, I've seen quite often in forest streams along with other types of barbs. I'm not too sure on their breeding behaviour though. I've also seen poachers catching these fish to sell them to local aquariums, including the forest snakehead.

Another fish that may interest you is the dwarf snakehead, which is rather uncommon in our waters now.

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

I read before a hobbyist managed to breed dwarf snakehead.and he was selling to others. Don't know if the local species have any difference compare to the neighbouring countries. I only keep before haruan. I released it when it grew to 30cm. and also keep before some baby haruans. Some I caught from a pond and occasionally found in feeder prawns. These babies have a tendency to eat each others, and jump out of the tank, or container.
If I've a decent camera,I should go scooping fish too.
btw, can betta imbellis still be found in the wild ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Haruans are hard to keep, at least those caught in the wild. I used catch haruans and keep them alive in a big urn till it's time to cook them. It needs to be covered with weights on top or they'll jump out and slither away over the night. :sweatdrop:

The dwarf snakeheads shouldn't look too different even across neighbouring countries, they may have slight colour variations like tomans but their definitive characteristics will still be there. I've not seen betta imbellis in the wild before, I have seen plenty of forest betta though. :lol:

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

My climbing perchs r very naughty...they always jump out of my tank.
And they r very power one....put back in still wan to "explore"
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

yes, I've seen these forest bettas at the central catchment area. Looks good in pictures. can they fight ? I've kept climbing perch before too. The good thing about it is that it eat pellets, unlike the snakeheads. Their gill plates are sharp. It is extremely hardy. I keep it from a 2cm fry, until it is about 12 cm maybe. What do you keep this fish with ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Never tried keeping one but I doubt they can fight like those sold in aquarium shops. :sweatdrop:

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

anyone tried keeping bichirs before?
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

I never keep before. Some of these are large fish. Those endlicheri fry seems to be quite affordable. and the white senegal bichirs are cheap. Generally, don't know much about the other bichirs. I'm more inclined to keep small fishes these days.