Letters to the Editor

Off Topic. Place for small talk, sharing a few laughs and organizing fishing trips. Topics will be selectively pruned.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Letters to the Editor

Post by Kishore »

A very Good Sunday Morning to one and all,
For the benefit for those who did not read today's Sunday Times dated on the 16th day of June.I wrote to the Forum, it is on
Think,page 37 regarding fishing in our reservoirs.Sorry to say the editor has left out many of my points.Please look out for my articles which the editor deem fit for publication in the near future.
Thanks.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Letters to the Editor

Post by Peace »

I didn't buy today's straits times unfortunately, care to share what was published and what was omitted?

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Post by Kishore »

Peace wrote:I didn't buy today's straits times unfortunately, care to share what was published and what was omitted?
The below article was the original which was sent to the Sunday Times.

I could not help but to say a few words about the article in the Sunday times dated on the 9th day
of June."Anglers calling for more fishing spots"
The PUB has allocated some places in our reservoirs where fishing is legal.As anglers,we tend to move out
from Designated fishing zones and venture into no fishing zones when the fish does not bite.When we are
fishing in all that zones,we have to take all the safety precautions.If you ask any frequent angler and they
will tell you that the bite rates are always higher in the no fishing areas designated by PUB..
What i suggest is,ask around and they will tell you where the hot spots are and open that area to the
public.
In lower Seleter reservoir there is a concrete deck where you can launch and retrieve toy sail and speed boats.There is a sign erected by PUB saying that only electric boats are allowed into the waters because petrol driven engines will pollute the water.We are talking about toy boats,the PUB failed to see that they
are using 100 times bigger boats in the same waters.All their boats are petrol driven.I am yet to see an
electric driven boat being used by the PUB.
Lower Seleter Reservoir is surrounded by Orchid Country Club.Fertilizer is used on all their grass and greens.
When it rains all that chemicals in the fertilizer is washed into the reservoir.Does that not pollute the waters?
They have modified Back Hoes mounted on mini barges in Lower Seleter reservoir.They are used to pull out the weeds that grow in the shallow waters.These machines have Diesel driven engines that run the hydraulics on the Back Hoe.As we all know,as long as there is oil involved,there is bound to have leaks.The oil leak will also pollute the waters.
PUB has a very strict rule of using bait while fishing .I have seen many anglers using landing nets and scooping up tiny prawns near the edge of the water and using them as bait.That prawns were not introduced
from another source,it came from the same waters.How will that pollute the waters?
I am sure the Authorities can follow like the other countries,like releasing new stock of fish into the reservoirs every year.That way,the fish population will not decrease.Not every Angler will throw back the fish after it is landed.
Regards
Kishore Vasu

Out of the above article,the editor only published the part of asking anglers about the good bite rate zones and releasing
new stock of fishes in the reservoirs.

Crab
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Prawning,off shore fishing

Post by Crab »

Read that on sunday.I was correct to guess it was one of you guys who wrote in.Well Done Guys !

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Thanks for reproducing your original article here. The way I see it, the editor is trying to avoid subjects that may lead to further outcries by other people. I do see your point about the releasing better fishing zone, but then again the new zone will still be overfished. What they can do is build some FAD or a nice cover at the designated fishing zone that will attract fishes to come, this will require some work and even to the extent of changing the underwater terrain (ie. creating drop-offs). It will require fundings and maintenance on the PUB side though.

As for the petrol usage, I tend to accept what the PUB is currently doing. Even though some machineries that were used on water causes pollution, but because they're the ones using it they can monitor and control the extent of its effects from its uses. Electric powered boats and other machineries are probably more expensive to buy and maintain too.