It's Dirty Job

Off Topic. Place for small talk, sharing a few laughs and organizing fishing trips. Topics will be selectively pruned.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

It's Dirty Job

Post by Kishore »

Good Evening Gals and Gents,
As what my title says"Its a dirty job but somebody has to do it".Let me elaborate on the subject.Sometimes when i am fishing
in the sea or reservoirs.I meet Anglers who will tell me what kind of fish i have on the hook without even seeing it.When i have a "fish on"and when the fish is not visible by them or my self these Anglers will shout out the kind of fish.Do they have x -ray
vision to see the fish even before it breaks the surface?When asked how did they know what kind of fish is on my hook they tell me they know that kind of fish by the way my fishing rod bends forward.That reason is way beyond my understanding.Likewise
we have people writing in this forum on their own findings which does not make sense at all.All my private messages and emails to them goes unanswered.I did not want to ask my Questions on the main page so i have given them the respect by PM,email and still with no avail.
Like i said before and i will say it again,we are all here to learn that does not mean you can keep on saying out of this world things and expect everyone to take it with a stride.The bottom line is if you make a comment ,be prepared to answer any Questions that may follow.
"Its A Dirty Job And I Have To Do It"

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Re: It's Dirty Job

Post by Oinkie »

Like with every hobbies if you invest enough time you will know what is the characteristic of the thing.

Like a friend of mine by hearing the sound of passing cars he can tell me what just went past.

The regular boatman I went to also knows what fish I hook up even before it surface, cos he had been there long enough. Like the saying goes he eat salt more than you eat rice. I'm still learning.

Cheers

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

You can't tell for sure but you can certainly make an intelligent guess with a few clues. Experienced anglers or boatman can guess correctly most of the time if
- they know the chances of landing a particular fish in that place
- they actually see how the fish bites (reaction from rod tip)
- See how the rod bends or twitches or the line runs > this tells you how the fish fighting behaviour
- accuracy increased if he is the one fighting the fish.

This is no magic, just experience. However, only a handful of anglers are good at this. Rest of them are just wild guessing and trying to gain attention for themselves.

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Post by stout infantfish »

I second that :thumbsup: