Testing you-tube videos

Off Topic. Place for small talk, sharing a few laughs and organizing fishing trips. Topics will be selectively pruned.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Testing you-tube videos

Post by BeachBum »

https://youtu.be/8CxuKW4xDxc
DIY white fly for spinning tackles.
Some months back,I said that I want to make some videos. Finally I made one. :o First time making video. Any comments? I'm using my FujifilmXP50 camera.
I downloaded Handbrake, a free software which is supposed to compress video file, but initial experiment, the video file size bigger than original. BUt if tweak the settings to reduce quality, the file size reduce by 1/3 or so.
8 min - 117MB
Took 30 mins to save/process on Movie Maker, 20 mins to process on Handbrake, 40 mins to upload to Youtube. Video making really take a lot of time.

Yesterday, I download a music tune from a music website. It is listed as (CC) (PD) which stands for public domain. It is a classical tune. I thought really free. I included in one of my videos but it is detected by you-tube that someone is claiming copyright for it. I could use it but the party is claiming my monetary rewards(if any) from my video for using that tune. Why like dat one? Any suggestions on including music in videos ? btw, the tune I use is "Nocturne in E flat major, Op. 9 no. 2" from the website https://musopen.org/music/245/frederic- ... rnes-op-9/

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Testing you-tube videos

Post by Peace »

The video is well made, the lighting is good and the steps can be clearly followed. Video editing can be tedious and slow process. The higher the resolution the video is, the slower the encoding time. Having a fast processor with multiple cores really helps with this.

For the output file, you should to match the youtube's guideline parameters, especially its bitrate to optimize video quality/upload time.

An alternative is to upload the raw video, and use youtube's inbuilt video editor to edit your videos. The good thing about this is it provides a list of royalty free music you can use on your videos.

You don't have to worry too much about copyrighted music. If a particular audio track you uploaded is owned by someone and has an agreement with youtube, it will claim some of your monetary rewards like you said. If they don't have an agreement and claims the copyright, your video's audio track will simply be muted.

As for your classical music you've downloaded, I'm not too sure why it happened that way. Since classical pieces are often performed by many different artist, some may have copyright on their own performance. Youtube audio recognition probably could not differentiate them because it's instrumental and no vocal track.

So if you're intending to make money off this you can consider using youtube's free music track, if you're not, just upload whichever track you like and see if youtube rejects it.

Good job on the video, I do hope to see more of your videos in the future. :thumbsup:

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to improve on it. Like you said the previous time, when taking videos outdoor the lighting is better, and results are generally less grainy. In my room, the videos are sometimes grainy.

By the way, If I want to add my speech recording separately after the video taking, what equipment do I need to get ? The built-in mic of the camera recorded a background buzz that cannot be suppressed.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You have to find out where the buzz is coming from first. If it's a background noise in the environment, there's nothing you can do except shifting to a more quieter place. If it's a noise coming from a mechanism in the camera then using an external mic will certainly help. Some cameras have external mic ports you can directly plug into but I doubt your camera has it. The alternative is to record the audio separately using any voice recorder like your phone and sync the audio with your video in post process.

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

https://youtu.be/CdOjfkGUzQI

DIY the blade of spinnerbaits. I wanted to make spinnerbaits, but I've not figured out how to attach a hook to a piece of stainless steel wire. The blade is sharp and may cut fishing line if not careful. I attached a blade near a soft rubber bait before, but didn't catch anything.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Cool demo. Depending on the thickness of your stainless steel wire, it can be rather hard to form the eye. You can close the eye by wrapping it with string. You need a swivel and split rings to attach the blades so it can spin freely.

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

https://youtu.be/oTHuJ_X1rYw

Fiddler crabs. The videos are rather shaky. Using a tripod, but still have movements. Maybe it is the wind blowing on the camera. After editing by you-tube, the shake is reduced. The other crab picture is in the swamp forest, maybe too dark, so it is blurred. Will have to try to find a way. Using a pole, so it shakes a lot LOL. I'll try out more fiddler crab pictures, or other types. The video has a background noise, which can be lowered by MovieMaker, however, the natural bird sounds may also be reduced.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Ooh nature clips, I always love watching them. Where is this filmed? As you get more interested in videography, you might want to get a better camera that has some video controls and image stabilizers. For the shake, it could be the wind, or that the tripod is not sturdy enough or you're simply on soft and unstable ground. If your camera has image stabilizer, turn it on. Software anti shake usually sacrifices resolution of the original footage to reduce the shake.

I used to have this really nice point and shoot camera that takes great macro videos. I killed it when I dropped it on the floor. :cry: I'll upload a video of it later.

edit: a sample video

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

It is at Pasir ris park. Wah, you video is sharp. I think must get those cameras with big telephoto lens one of these days, but I'm quite broke.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You don't really need a big or expensive cameras to take decent videos, even smartphone cameras take good videos now given good lighting. You just have to look for one with the right specs, but yeah you have to spend a little when you want to get serious with it. The camera I took the video with costs about $300+ but I got a good deal for it.

But that said, content always trumps picture quality. :thumbsup:

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kz-Ox6saEs

yesterday, found some Porcelain fiddler crabs. Not much wind so images not shaking. Some segments are blurred.It seems to be hit or miss. Maybe will try get closer by 15cm more so the macros can be larger and maybe clearer.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Nice, you can see them doing the mating dance too. :eyebrow: Your video seems very soft rather than out of out focus on some parts, were you by any chance using digital zoom?

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

er...don't know how to see. :o The lens printed "5X wide optical zoom". However, the camera has no moving parts. It is probably using digital zoom.Zooming in two clicks in generally give the best pictures. Fully zoomed in, the pictures are very bad. I may have used some zoom settings in the middle. The lens was fungus-ed before. I get my relative to open it up and clean the lens, it is not as clear as new ones. The colours seems not as vibrant as I would like.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

If it has optical zoom, it has moving parts. The lens movement is internal since yours is a waterproof camera. Digital zoom will occur when you attempt to zoom past the 5x optical zoom. Digital zoom can be replicated on a computer software like photoshop, it doesn't add any more detail to the image than what optical zoom can capture. Infact, you lose image resolution using it. So try not to use it, or disable it completely in the camera settings.

Zoom function in general can be useful to get close to our subjects, but it has its drawbacks as well. Image tends to degrade the more you zoom(optical or digital), it's often the best at its widest(no zoom). Zooming also magnifies the effect of camera shake and also decreases your max aperture. That means the more you zoom, less light can get into the lens.

In short, don't zoom at all if you can get close to the subject physically. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to open a camera unless you're a professional. Even with professional servicing, I've bad experience with one of a reputable brand. My camera came back with noticeable image degradation from a simple dust cleaning inside the lens.

edit:
Regarding macro mode, it's important to note that the closest your camera can get to a subject is 9cm at wide(no zoom), and 40cm(at full zoom). The camera will fail to focus if you try to push past that limit.