WIN 10 problem

Off Topic. Place for small talk, sharing a few laughs and organizing fishing trips. Topics will be selectively pruned.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

WIN 10 problem

Post by BeachBum »

My computer not working. I did System restore twice and the Windows 10 Password is suddenly not working. so I can't get in, stuck at the password screen.

I'm using another computer. This Laptop I'm using now is not able to access certain websites for some reasons. Internet connection with the main faulty computer is bad. After I upgraded to win 10, I experienced no internet connection in the morning, but strangely the machine suddenly worked after late morning , and the diagnosis of the computer is the Network adapter driver is not properly installed. Alamak, I thought win 10 must be better than win 7 , but now lots of problem. Can't even access safe mode as I've not kept up with technology.
Is there anywhere that can get the WIN 10 ISO file ? and what cost ? and any tips on how to solve this problem ? Thks.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: WIN 10 problem

Post by Peace »

If you have upgraded to win 10 from win 7/8, you can simply download the window iso image from here and do a clean install. The installation should recognize your win 7/8 cd key with the new win 10 installation.

I'm not sure how I can help with repairing your current installation, but if your current installation has been that way for some time, I would still suggest a clean install. There may be virus or malware hidding and causing problems with your current installation.

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

Thanks. I've some pictures and writing in there, I hope a clean installation won't wipe those out. It is not virus. It is Win 10 incompatible with my old modem, plus the troublesome passwords. Downloaded one of the installation USB tool, but it takes 1hr and I can't get the USB tool to work. Maybe the USB tool is not properly downloaded by me, as I've noticed when I almost finished downloading, there was some kind of odd sequence. Whoever upgrade to win10 must remember to make a USB password reset key or disk or backup. I forgot.

wonder if these ideas will work ?
1) Get a new modem . I need to ascertain that it is Win 10 compatible. I need a plan upgrade soon from Singnet, haven't done yet.Maybe they provide new devices like they used to. I hate going to the Singtel shop.

2) Find a computer club from CC, see if any experts there.

3) I just read online that Linux system can make a USB boot tool that can access the hard disk.
Thanks for your time. Don't think too hard on it. Don't worry, I can make it work again,just need some time of tweaking. haha..I thought those days of tweaking the computer was in the past. The other day I saw an entry level HP laptop at NTUC retailing for around $350 only. wow man..

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I think your priority now is to safeguard and backup your personal data. Following the instructions from here, You can reboot into safe mode from the login screen:
From the sign-in screen

Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power Power icon > Restart.

After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
What sort of modem are you using and how is it connected to your computer? A bootdisk will start your computer with very minimal function and performance and is often used for troubleshooting. If you have a lot of data to recover, you might want to remove the harddrive and connect it to another pc for transfer.

Yes, computers can are relatively cheap compared to the past. You can't beat their prices with DIY now either. But I would still be weary of a $350, the specs must be comparable to a netbook. In any case, hardwarezone is still the to-go site for computer advice. Lots of active techies there. ;)