changes to tackle directory n tamban hook

News and update on the site development will be posted here. Also for technical support, testing, management issues and suggestions to the forum.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

helben
Non-registered User
Non-registered User

changes to tackle directory n tamban hook

Post by helben »

hi there,

this shop has closed down alrdy
Regal Tang 2
Blk 888 Woodlands Drive 50 #01-703 Singapore 730888
Tel : (+65) 6362 0885
Opening Hours: Mon - Thurs: 8am - 9pm, Fri & Sat: 8am - 10pm, Sun: 7am - 5pm
Products & Services: Fishing tackles, live prawns

and the tying tambans hooks where it teaches the alternate surgeon knot to tie 2 lines together by using the longer end to loop in out 3x is incorrect as the shorter end (hook line) will not be secure and can pull out easily.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: changes to tackle directory n tamban hook

Post by Peace »

Thank you helben for the update, I haven't been to that tackle shop in a long time. Would you happen to know if the branch at Clementi has closed down also?

For the tamban hooks tying, I will look into it when I have the time. I'm currently a little busy. :o If there are more information you can add to it, please do let me know. :)

:flower:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

helben wrote:....and the tying tambans hooks where it teaches the alternate surgeon knot to tie 2 lines together by using the longer end to loop in out 3x is incorrect as the shorter end (hook line) will not be secure and can pull out easily.
Okay, I just re-read your input on the surgeon knot in the tamban hooks tying. The method is secure so long you tighten 4 ends simultaneously(very important). If done correctly, the wraps on the knot will form nicely and the strength is the same as any surgeon knot. It will not slip.:)

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Just buy them from a fishing tackle and save the troubles :p :p :p :p
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

afternoonfish
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Anything

Post by afternoonfish »

Peace wrote:
helben wrote:....and the tying tambans hooks where it teaches the alternate surgeon knot to tie 2 lines together by using the longer end to loop in out 3x is incorrect as the shorter end (hook line) will not be secure and can pull out easily.
Okay, I just re-read your input on the surgeon knot in the tamban hooks tying. The method is secure so long you tighten 4 ends simultaneously(very important). If done correctly, the wraps on the knot will form nicely and the strength is the same as any surgeon knot. It will not slip.:)
I also tie a surgeon knot between the mainline and snood, usually 2 or 3 wraps. Notice comercial and tamban hooks sellers also use the same knot.. :p

Any alternative if this knot is wrong? cus thin lines very hard to see and tie leh
:confused:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

What do you mean by the 'if the knot is wrong'? Are you looking for another knot alternative to surgeon's knot or another way to tie surgeon's knot? Another knot you can try is the T knot but I've never tried tying it for tamban hooks. Those machine tied tamban jigs don't have knots very well tightened and may sometimes come loose if pulled too hard. If you get your surgeon's knot right, the wraps shouldn't overlap and should be tightly packed side by side.

fishingboy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by fishingboy »

the fishing shop at clementi has already close down :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

fishingboy wrote:the fishing shop at clementi has already close down :)
Thanks, I went down personally to check out that branch personally and it really did closed down. I've already updated that on the tackles directory. :)

afternoonfish
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by afternoonfish »

Peace wrote:What do you mean by the 'if the knot is wrong'? Are you looking for another knot alternative to surgeon's knot or another way to tie surgeon's knot? Another knot you can try is the T knot but I've never tried tying it for tamban hooks. Those machine tied tamban jigs don't have knots very well tightened and may sometimes come loose if pulled too hard. If you get your surgeon's knot right, the wraps shouldn't overlap and should be tightly packed side by side.
U still mean surgeon knot is correct/ not wrong ? Cus the first post said otherwise, and thats why i asked for alternative. Thank u very much

Peace

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

The one on the mainsite is correct, it's a matter of tightening the knot properly. If you do not pull four ways together, it will form small loop that allows one end to slip out.

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Hey peace did you ever see hooks with no holes ? How to tie them

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I believe you mean hooks with no eye. If you look closely, practically all tamban hooks have no hook eye. You snell it the same as those with eye, only there's no eye to go through. You have to tighten the snell properly or it may slip off from the hook.

afternoonfish
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by afternoonfish »

gohyuheng wrote:Hey peace did you ever see hooks with no holes ? How to tie them
Hi man :D

The holes of the hooks are always named as 'eyes'.

Eyeless hooks are those which the its top are typically moulded by flattened ends called spades instead, for holding the knot from slipping out.

I think spaded hooks are cheaper because it save some metals and machinings.
:thumbsup:

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

I see, thankyou for this information