Unidentified Herring 1

Yes, you can help us. If you know anything about the fish species in our water that may be useful to the fishing community, do chip in. Together we can help our fellow anglers understand their target and catch.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Unidentified Herring 1

Post by Peace »

farkhead
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Re: Unidentified Herring 1

Post by farkhead »

isn't the tamban?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, this is a 'tamban'. There are actually several species of herrings that look very similar to tambans. If you noticed, tambans have slender types and one that is of slender body like this one:

Not quite sure if they're the same species of fish though, so I'll leave it as it is for the time being. :)

TimL
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: shore/coastal fishing, handline fishing

Post by TimL »

Herrings are very difficult to tell apart...This individual could be a tamban (Sardinella albella or a deepbody sardinella S. brachysoma:Image. The difference lies in the gill raker count.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You're right TimL, herrings are tough to identify. I must say I simply identified the other herring by referencing from another local site. I don't think I will go to the extent of counting the gill rakers, afterall this is just a fishing site. ;) The targeted visitors probably won't appreciate the difference either.

I looked at the pictures at fishbase and it seem more like a white sardinella rather than a deepbody sardinellato me. So for the time being, let's write off as Sardinella albella (White sardinella). Sorry I'm unable get too technical about it. :sweatdrop:

Thanks for your input.