[Freshwater] Zebra Tilapia

Yes, you can help us. If you know anything about the fish species in our water that may be useful to the fishing community, do chip in. Together we can help our fellow anglers understand their target and catch.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

[Freshwater] Zebra Tilapia

Post by Peace »

Alan Ang
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Re: [Freshwater] Zebra Tilapia

Post by Alan Ang »

I heard this is an excellent eating fish much sought after in Malaysia. Anyone tried it before? Care to comment?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I've not heard of this before and neither have I heard of any cichlids being on the 'good eating' list. The only cichlid that are commonly served in local restaurants are the Red Tilapia and I don't think they're great either. I've not tried this fish before so I shouldn't comment any further. :p

Welcome to HLF, Alan Ang. :)

catfish
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: surf fishing and lure fishing always practice catch and release

Post by catfish »

yea ive caught dozens in upper seletar resevoir they weight about a kilogram. although i practice catch and release, if one gets gut hooked, ill bring it home to eat and yes i agree they taste pretty darn good :p

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I'm not much of a fan for freshwater fishes, especially when it comes to cichlids. ::x: But I've met someone who swears that cichlids are one of the best tasting fish around, maybe there's some truth to that. :shiftyeyes:

catfish
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: surf fishing and lure fishing always practice catch and release

Post by catfish »

Edit: The image didn't show, should be an error in the link, edited for you.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That actually looks like a Mayan Cichlid, is this the fish you intended to show?

poptiger
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: lure fishing,surf fishing,handline fishing

Post by poptiger »

Whoo but peace i thought the u like handline ??? prawn with handline is a perfect combo for the fish

DMCY
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Any type

Post by DMCY »

At bukit batok nature park(Yes, i go there a lot), just use bread and you could catch it.

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Post by murasame »

Plenty at Pandan Reservoir on the West Coast side (Fishing and Viewing Deck)
Used to be a lot of medium sized ones on the left side of the shelter facing the boat deck but they seem to be gone now, maybe all taken by the factory workers nearby. Small-medium sized ones can take tiny artificial lures (especially scented rubbers and flies) even sabiki rigs with the elastic fish skin. Otherwise bread is a good bait (but no baiting in reservoirs so be mindful of the pub trucks/boats that go around the reservoir)
Now the best spots seem to be in the area close to the rock bank
I use extra-ultralight gear to play with small ones near the shore using flies/ shortened fish skin sabikis, simply attach a light split shot at the end and bounce the rig along the bank with very small movements, try to get into all the nooks they could be hiding in
Set hooks quickly and avoid letting your line go slack as the small ones will pull your rig into holes in the rocks once they bite
Sometimes large ones do come close to shore so prepare to wrestle them out of the jetty covers!
As for fighting power, it really differs strangely
My first big ZT from pandan was like a dead weight, almost like a catfish, however my second biggie which was the same size, 20+cm, fought so hard and dove under the jetty I almost thought it was a PB.
All the uncles I see at pandan say it tastes great and I often see it sold at sheng siong as well so I assume its a good eating fish. I havent actually brought any back so I cant give comments haha
Blur sotong :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, I used to observe them along the rocky banks in Pandan Reservoir in the early morning when the water is calm. I've caught them on artificial lures and bread as well, they're pretty good fighters.

baryonix
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by baryonix »

Hi Peace,

How do you catch these Zebra Tilapia with artificial lure? What kind of lure and how small is it? Any retrieve technique?

Thanks

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I'm not good with artificial lures but I did catch a Zebra Tilapia with one before. Cichlids can be aggressive and territorial and may attack your lure with some persistence casting close to them. I used intervals of quick successive jerks to provoke a strike.

mtan8
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing

Post by mtan8 »

Caught this today. Cooked Thai style salt bake. I would say the normal Common Tilapia taste better.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200715-211551_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-211551_Gallery.jpg (908.55 KiB) Viewed 20614 times
Screenshot_20200715-210754_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-210754_Gallery.jpg (1003.66 KiB) Viewed 20614 times

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Interesting! I must admit I'm not too keen on trying this fish. Were the Tilapia and Zebra cooked the same way? How would you describe the taste of the Zebra Tilapia?