Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for "Project: WTF"

Yes, you can help us. If you know anything about the fish species in our water that may be useful to the fishing community, do chip in. Together we can help our fellow anglers understand their target and catch.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for "Project: WTF"

Post by Peace »

What is Project: WTF?

"What The Fish" (WTF) is a project dedicated to the study of fishes in Singapore. It is far from being called Ichthyology since it's hardly technical or accurate basing on just fish pictures alone for identification. Nor do I have the expertise to do so. Instead, this is a mini fish library created by anglers, for anglers. It enables them to:
  • know local/common names of fishes
  • improve catch by understanding the behavior and habitat of fishes
  • be aware of inedible/poisionous/dangerous fishes
  • how rare or common certain fish species are in our waters
What can I do to help?

If you're angler or someone who frequently see or deals with local fishes, you can help by:
  • Participating in fish specimen polls (to be added in the future)
  • Provide any information about fish you are familiar with
  • Identifying "unidentified specimens" / correcting "mis-identified specimens"
  • Contribute fish specimen photos
What can I post in this forum

You can post any information which contributes to the study of local fishes in this forum; be it facts of fish, fish identification, fish photos, etc.

Replying to fish species topics

You can offer your experience as an angler on your encounter with each of the fishes on this list. Aside from participating in the polls, you can reply to the topics with the following information as much as possible:
  • Possible Location(s): Places where you have caught the fish before (i.e. Bedok Jetty, Ubin or general locations like east(inshore), west(offshore), etc)
  • Effective Baits: Successful baits used to catch this fish (i.e. Live squid, dead prawns, mullets, n/a(using aritificial baits), etc)
  • Size range: Range of estimated size you encounter (can be in length or weight) (i.e. 200g - 1kg, 7cm -15cm, etc)
  • Depth: Range of depth of water it is found (i.e. 3ft - 15ft, 10m - 45m, etc)
  • Depth Level: Level at which the fish was caught (i.e. Bottom feeding, Mid-water, Surface, etc)
  • Habitat: Nature of the habitat the fish is found in (i.e, rocky, reef, sandy, marine clay, swamp, brackish waters, etc)
  • Recommended Rigs/Lures: Successful rigs/lures used to catch the fish (i.e. Apollo, Langgong, rattlin' rapala, etc)
  • Group Size: The numbers the fish comes at one time. (ie. single, pairs, groups of 4-8, school of hundreds, etc)
  • Behavior: Notable behavior/characteristics of fish such biting pattern and fighting behavior (i.e. Hit and run, small nibbles, does not swallow hook, fast initial burst, tendency to surface and jump, short stamina, etc)
  • Tips: Tips to catch/fight this fish (i.e. when catching mullets, berly bread till they go into feeding frenzy. When fishing for groupers, it is essential to strike fast to prevent them from running into cover.)
  • Preparation / Cooking Recipes: How to make a delicious gourmet out of this fish.

Other notes:
    Other information you may like to include such as other local names for this fish, notable feeding times, what to caution for when handling this fish, etc. You can also include your photos of the discussed fish in your post.
:arrow: The above is just a guideline in posting, you may contribute at your own discretion.

How do I contribute photos?

If you want to contribute specimen pictures to this forum, please email me the photos and your name/username to fishspecies@REMOVEgmail.com (delete 'REMOVE'). If your specimen is accepted and used, the picture will be watermarked with your name indicated in your email.
  • Guidelines to taking and submitting photos

Whenever possible,

• Take image size of at least 1600 x 1200 pixels, highest quality setting.
    • Do not use camera flash unnecessarily as it can cause harsh light to bounce back from the fish.
    • Position your camera directly above the specimen so as to capture the maximum surface area of the fish. (i.e. not tilted at an angle).
    • Make sure no strong light source is hitting the fish at from various angle that may cause overexposure or reflection on certain parts of the fish, especially those with silvery scales.
    • Place the fish on a plain and light background.
    • Make sure the fish is lined up straight, especially the tail.
    • Have the fish spread out its fins and tail as much as possible.
    • Clean off any debris on the fish caused by landing or flipping on the ground.
    • Use a live specimen as they retain much of their colours.
    • Becareful not to tear the pierced wound of the fish when removing the fishing hook.
    • Try to take the photo in the shortest time if you intend to release the fish.
    • Do not edit or re-save the photo so as not to lose any details of the fish. I will do the editing/extracting of the fish for you.

Precautions when taking fish photos

• Practise safety when handling fishes with poisonous spikes, sharp teeth/spike/gill blades.
    • Do not use bare hands to handle dangerous fishes, use a pair of fishing pliers instead. If the fish isn't cooperating, just take what you can and let it go.
    • Don't get your camera too close to the fish as it may flip and hit your camera lens. Water or fish scales may get onto the lens too. Use 'zoom' function to get a close-up on the fish if your camera has it.
Can I use the fish images for my website?
  • Image Copyright
    All images watermarked with "handlinefishing.com" and "HLF" in this website belongs to handlinefishing.com. These images may be used by non-profit organizations or individuals for non-profit purpose. You are not allowed to alter the image in any way or use it as a basis to create a new image (a derivative image). You must acknowledge the ownership of the image where it is being used.

Contributors' fish photos
    Photos contributed by members retain the rights to the fish photos. Owner of the photo may request his/her image to be removed on request. Ask for their permission to use the photos.
Disclaimer
All information on handlinefishing.com is to be used at your own risk. handlinefishing.com will not be responsible for any damage or loss of property, injury, death or any form of dissatisfaction as a result from using any information found on this website.