Whitecheek Monocle Bream

Yes, you can help us. If you know anything about the fish species in our water that may be useful to the fishing community, do chip in. Together we can help our fellow anglers understand their target and catch.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Whitecheek Monocle Bream

Post by Peace »

catfish
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: surf fishing and lure fishing always practice catch and release

Re: Whitecheek Monocle Bream

Post by catfish »

white cheeked monacle bream - this fish can really give a very good fight once its hooked. i usually use Mustad Demon circle hooks size 4 where i fish its a really fun fish when u haved hooked one :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I usually encounter this fish in the southern islands, they can be found in both shallow and relatively deep waters but usually in rocky or reef areas. On my last offshore trip, the current was pretty dead slow and these breams seem to be very active and we kept landing them on prawn meat. We had a good laugh and fun over it. :lol:

Oh, and welcome to HLF catfish. :flower:

catfish
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: surf fishing and lure fishing always practice catch and release

Post by catfish »

Baits: pieces of prawn or fresh squid
Size range: biggest ive caught is about 20cm
Depth: usually at the bottom
Rigs: carolina rig, appolo rig
Group size: usually solitary
Behaviour: when taking the bait the rod would twitch violently and once hooked it feels very strong like its trashing underwater good fight if u hooked a good size one ;) although the fish's mouth maylook small, it has swallowed my circle hook once. very greedy fish i must say 0.o
Tips: when catching this fish, use prawn or squid no fish please :grin: and if ur using a j-hook, they generally hook themselves ( high chance it might swallow the hook :lol: )or u can set the hook
Cooking: never ate the fish before but my friend said it tastes really good when steamed :nod: yea so here are the tips for catching this wonderful fish! :D

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Thanks for the detailed information, you seem very good at catching this fish. :nod: I haven't catch many of these from our shorelines. I've not tried eating it either, the body is pretty hard. I guess that's why people call it 'tee kar chia'.

catfish
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by catfish »

ur welcome :D sorry but wut does tee kar chia means? srry im japanese :confused:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That's a chinese dialect for 'armored car' if I got it correctly. ::x: