Where can I get live octopus as bait?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Antz69
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Re: .

Post by Antz69 »

darren wrote:hi Antz69, THANKS FOR YOUR INFD maybe you should try fishing at the end of bjt. t junction IF YOU MANAGE TO GET THE FRESH OCTOPUS. that time see that guy using HANDLINE, bait was live octopus . hit a red grouper, john snapper, and a big fat parrot fish.. POWER MAN. MAYBE HE IS LUCKY?
Thanks for the tip, Darren. Will wander out to the T next time I go out to BJT. Most of the time, I use handline with the 8-clawed beast... Still waiting for my first big bite.... :(
- Life is Like Fishing - You never know what you gonna catch, or whether you can catch anything at all! :-)

chanturtle
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by chanturtle »

nvr used baby octupus b4 will try it someday
An Ordinary BoY FiSHiNG ALL RoUnD SiNGaPORe

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

bjt

Post by darren »

hope to heard from your big catch soon. good luck

chanturtle
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by chanturtle »

thanks.... haha :D

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

fishing spots?

Post by darren »

do you guy care to share any good fishing spots at ubin? last week when there to fish as most of the area had been fence up, not much good spots to fish liao. use to go to the thai temple side where there is a floating landing and futher down a few broken jetties all are good spot for kbl and grouper. but know all fence up, take to share. thanks

Antz69
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Antz69 »

Ubin... never tried on the island itself, but on a boat and quite near the island. The fences looks menacing from the outside.
Remembered seeing some bumboat operators fishing off the main jetty :D
- Life is Like Fishing - You never know what you gonna catch, or whether you can catch anything at all! :-)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I'm not familiar with the place myself, but I've seen people fishing at the jetty itself. If you're adventurous, find your way to the mouth of the prawn ponds facing the mainland. You'll find barramundis lurking there. ;)

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by darren »

had try it before catch rate not so good alot of ah seng fish. rackie once got stung by hornets, run for life. dare not rackie ubin. not familiar there also.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I think you will have better luck with kbls if you used live prawns/mullets on floater there; that will avoid ah sengs too. You don't need to cast very far out. Lures work there as well too but the there's quite a bit of obstacles in and out of water. Fish during when the tide is coming in. :)

chanturtle
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by chanturtle »

i only went there once. did not take ani pics but the spot i went to is beside the prawn farm there. my friend's dad brought me there :) caught about 14 average size fishes and alot of small fishes. :)

Antz69
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Antz69 »

Popped by Giant Tampines again after dinner, and thought go take a look at the baby squids to see if any baby octopus available.

Took a look...Seems that they are always sitting there among the baby squids, though only 2 this evening.

Busy place, as usual.

Can you see anything difference amongst the baby squids?

Close Up....

Took the pics and quicky ran off... The uncle behind the counter looked a bit pissed already, cos I was laying up the octopus for the shot. :p

Darth Salacious
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Darth Salacious »

Nice photos there Antz!

I'll be passing by Tampines tonight, might pop by and see if there are octopuses in the aforementioned sotong bin.
A bad day at fishing is better than a good day at work.

My Fishing Blog - The Peranakan Angler

Antz69
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Antz69 »

Darth Salacious wrote:Nice photos there Antz!

I'll be passing by Tampines tonight, might pop by and see if there are octopuses in the aforementioned sotong bin.
Thanks! Yeah, try it. I just bought some last weekend. Good Luck!

Darth Salacious
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Darth Salacious »

Thanks. By the way, octopuses can be freezed and de-frosted just before use right? Does it affect their performance?

Or do I have to buy them fresh and use them almost immediately?
A bad day at fishing is better than a good day at work.

My Fishing Blog - The Peranakan Angler

Antz69
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Antz69 »

Eh, this one, I guess up to you la... I bought it and use straight away. Kept it a keep in the freezer, still ok. Though no big bites yet, but for sure the fishes will eat.... :nod: