Fly fishing

For enthusiasts using artificial lures.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf fishing, lure fishing.

Fly fishing

Post by MrTurtle7 »

Hey, i am interested in trying out fly fishing but i have no experience or any tackle for fly fishing.
Could give me some suggestion on where i can get some fly fishing tackles and how or where to do fly fishing.
Thanks~ :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Fly fishing

Post by Peace »

You should drop by Coho at beach road, they specialize in fly fishing tackles and they can give you very good advice on what to start with. :)

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by MrTurtle7 »

Haha thanks, just check their website, looks pretty good, but any idea how to get there in public transport?

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Post by Chatellany »

I think the best would be taking the train to bugis and den walk. Lavender also can. Lots if shops there you may find something you need walking along that stretch.

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

Post by noobANGLER »

MrTurtle7 wrote:Hey, i am interested in trying out fly fishing but i have no experience or any tackle for fly fishing.
Could give me some suggestion on where i can get some fly fishing tackles and how or where to do fly fishing.
Thanks~ :)
I am not quite good at fly but i really wanted to try.When u cast the line out,there were lines flying everywhere but u must use thicker lines to cast further.There is also false casts which i think it is confusing for me.

I had one fly spot which my brother told me before is the Kallang River but i don't know if it is legal to fish there.

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by MrTurtle7 »

Haha thanks for the advice.

I am facing a dilemma on whether to get a surf casting rod or get a fly fishing one.
My argument for surf casting is that there is more area to do surfcasting in singapore from beaches and jetty. :)
Fly fishing spot seem rather limited to salt water fishing and seem dangerous to be done on jetty especially for someone with no experience like me. :o
But despite so, fly fishing seem to be more entertaining than surfcasting where you just wait for a bite. :p

So i dont know which one to get :cry:
I intend to get both but i want to get one be4 my ns, and the other after ns.
So any suggestion on which one to get? :(

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

You're right that fly fishing has extremely limited places to fish and places with many people around should be avoided. Despite the back and forth display of flicking the line out at a large radius, it don't really take more casting space than a surfcaster would. However, it takes a longer time to cast and that can pose danger to other people around, especially non-anglers. Plus, the casting looks dangerous to many, which is probably why fly fishing isn't allowed in reservoirs in the first place.

In terms of choice, I believe it should go down to your heart. If you like it, just go for it. The learning process itself can be fun and interesting too, not just landing a fish. :) If you want to learn more about fly fishing, do visit our local fly fishing forum.
Edit: Sorry, pasted the wrong URL. Fixed now.

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by MrTurtle7 »

haha thanks, i think there is something wrong with the url~

i think i will go for fly fishing first bah :)
seem i think my current tackle is enough for some light fishing at jetty or beaches :)