Whats the secret to success ._.

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Whats the secret to success ._.

Post by gohyuheng »

Its so frustrating, every single fishing trip we go, only have small fish, i have yet to experience the real feel of a fight, and wondering what fish it is. The biggest fish i have caught before is the orange spotted rabbitfish(which does give quite a good fight) ,unless u consider the crab. So whats the secret eh? is it my bait? my rig? I always use bottom sinker, always fish at west coast and labrador, always use worms or dead prawns, but never ever get any chermins or fishes like that :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ps. dun recommend me to go try at pasir ris or bedok, my dad will never bring me there ._.
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Re: Whats the secret to success ._.

Post by Chatellany »

Haha this is a very interesting post! I myself have never dragged a huge stingray out of the beach before. To me, personally I don't think there are any secrets when it comes to saltwater fishing, as it is very affected by natural elements eg tide, water current, water conditions and a little bit of luck. But ultimately, it's perseverance and determination from you. Try different rigs every session if there's no bites at all. Try different bait, you can try baby squids, tamban, live prawns. Also, try different spots at the places you frequently fish at. Sometimes keep a lookout for any water breakers or structures and toss a live prawn out. You may be surprised at what eats your prawn. If all these doesn't work maybe you have to adopt a new mentality when it comes to fishing. Work it out so that you enjoy the sessions just by chattin with your dad, taking a short break from school and work just looking at the environment around you. Don't give up :)

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: All types of fishing, Prawning

Post by teamilk »

lol
at least u get small fishes. i landed a 10kg.........rice sack (filled with sand) before. not once, but twice.
not only suay, but at the risk of my rod breaking. (had to lift it up high to unhook it)
so......u don't complain lah. i think i more suay.
everytime i go those free fishing, i never get any catches.
only time i get catches are when i go pay ponds or offshore. lol

so yeah, i think Chatellany is right. tidal conditions, weather conditions, current, types of baits are all very important.
last time i didn't see the importance of these, now i do. :D

jiayou! don't give up eh........keep trying, someday u'll land a fish, capable of breaking your rod (but it didn't) lol

tight lines!

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

tyty =D

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

My tip would be to be vigilant on checking on your bait. Always ensure that your hook has bait and well presented so won't miss a chance if a fish passes by. Pay extra attention during the change of tide and also watch out for any surface action of biggies chasing baitfishes, that's when I whip out my lure. :p

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

ooh i seeee

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

allow me to share my analysis, and experience.

baiting, i also call it parking.
cast a bait, with a sinker essentially holding the bottom else, it's like flying kite underwater, with your baiting drifting in the water. it might sound like a bright idea, as its drifts, it might be drifting the bait to the hole of a grouper. ideally it might fetch a fish, but catching a obastacles seems more likely.

parking. holding your bait in the water. in the vast open water, you hang a bait, be it live or just flesh. if a fish don't come close enough, the chance of packing of fish is almost zero. even when the fish do swim close enough, it has a choice to pick it.

isn't fishing all about patience?

how i enjoy my almost close to zero % baiting, parking, or surf casting?
experiment on rigs. learn how to do a neat rig. how to do a neat knot. couple with condition of water; current, how do you display it attractively to fishes swimming from far.

when you least expected a catch, with all the distractions from the knots and rigs. every trip will be fun-filled. and the catch will kick its bucket before you finish posing with it.

patience boy and someday your enthusiasm might just spur your daddy to bring you anywhere.
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

The secert is :"the least place u think there will be no fish, there will be a fish..."
Ill give u hint to my second fishing spot ( the first one i go there to catch cats n flatties)..... its......
THE CANAL AT THE WEST COAST PARK LAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( u have to use hand line cause its very rocky )
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

I got fish there before, definitely one of my favourites. Alot of swa jian sea bass tusk fish

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

Hi gohyuheng,
Theres not really much secret to success though. It depends on what fish u are targeting and what sort of bait u are presenting to the fish u are targeting.

For eg, you would like to target chermin, i believe their favorite food are live prawns and the most effective rig is apollo, and normally chermin season is from (xx-xx). Well, u could also use dead prawns though, however, given the amount of bait stealers around, you have to rebait real often and it might not entice it to grab ur bait compare to a live prawn.

Yes chermin does give good fights, regardless of it size, it'll definitely take your line for a good run ! Perhaps, the next trip u would like to go for a different strategy ? :p
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Yesterday went to west coast over night fishing with live prawns, whole night no fish leh D=

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

got use float or not???? must use cable car or not the kbl know is a trick....
(hint:try using the maria kiss angel lure)
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

gohyuheng wrote:Yesterday went to west coast over night fishing with live prawns, whole night no fish leh D=
I could only say ~ Keep trying ! :lol: Its Singapore !
By the way, u should be fishing during the day, if u are targeting for chermins. There are chermins during the night, but i only seen once. :)
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

I seee. Yes lim fish i used the cable car rig