Help did i kena chop by shop for buying a rod at $100?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

jack1986bibi
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Help did i kena chop by shop for buying a rod at $100?

Post by jack1986bibi »

Hi guy i am a newbi and decided to buy a rod and dun know why end up buying a $100 dollar rod and with no $ left, i bought a $6 dollar reel and cheap line lol

$100 for seahawk rod .......

well i got some picture let the picture do the talking......

IS it normal? just wanna make sure i nvm kena chop by the shop haha

ok i dun know how to upload picture

Last edited by jack1986bibi on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

zufeeqhar
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Lure fishing , offshore fishing

Re: Help did i kena chop by shop for buying a rod at $100?

Post by zufeeqhar »

that is 1 expensive rod for a newbie im a new bie and i have a 12 feet rod for $36
Hmm maybe a good quality rod . . i suggest for you to go changi to get rods that are quite cheap
how many feet is your rod?12 ft?
Usually its not where you fish but how you fish .

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

100 over dollar rods are normal, It probably just means its good quality. I have seen 200 dollar ones before. But if you are using such a good rod, why not buy a average or above average reel and line as well.maybe at least 25 pound line?
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

jack1986bibi
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by jack1986bibi »

I buy the rod liao no money left, uncle say cheap cheap reel nvm , line also nvm de so i buy lol. now just wanna make sure if this rod is worth the price i pay for.... if not i not going back to the shop liao

zufeeqhar
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by zufeeqhar »

Looks like your rod is meant for multiplyer reel . hmmm

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

That's about the price of that rod, but you shouldn't spend almost all of your budget on the rod leaving only 6 dollars for a reel. You can watch this demo on uploading an image and embedding it in your post.

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: All types of fishing, Prawning

Post by teamilk »

wow bro....i don't think u kena chop for that rod. that's quite a good rod.

some simple tips on tackle eq shopping:
1) always, always set your budget. set your budget for full set of equipment. (rod, reel, line, weights, swivels, hooks etc etc.....if not even with a rod, reel, line, u also cannot fish. lol)
for this case, i think your rod overpowered your reel.
(read the topic i posted on "Rods & Reels Qn", lots of nice anglers posting on what equipment to get)
btw, $6 reel is freaking cheap. i am thinking it must be a brandless reel with capacity of less than 1000? as for the line, how much poundage did he sell u? the uncle was quite mean to sell u an expensive rod and a cheap reel and line. next time u go to a shop, tell the uncle u are new, and your budget for rod and reel is how much. if u think he trying to chop u, then tell him it's ok, u think first then come back again. there are plenty of tackle shops, with people who are willing to help.

2) if u have any more experienced anglers friends, ask them to go along with u. then your friend can tell u if the recommendation by shop owner good anot. as a newbie, try not to go alone. like for me, i got my first setup from a friend. i told him my budget and he got me a setup which is reasonable for pay pond fishing

3) if 2) doesn't apply to u, then read up from websites first. like this forum, or FK forum, or others, and check out what's suitable for a newbie like u. there are many friendly anglers out there who are most willing to help u.

4) if u are rich, also no need to go for any super expensive equipment. for fishing, expensive doesn't mean it's good. i have a friend who owns a $20 rod, and is able to land 4kg fishes.

well, it's a lesson learnt. like they always say "pay tuition fees." lol
but anyway, don't feel sad that u wasted $100, cos this rod should be able to last u for sometime (if u use it the correct way that is)

btw, what type of fishing/fishes are u aiming to go for? u didn't mentioned this...i'm sure the shop owner will ask u "whats your budget?" "what type of fishing u going to?" "what type of fishes u want to catch?"

jack1986bibi
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by jack1986bibi »

think for the reply, i was going to catch KBL and uncle say this rod gd

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf fishing, lure fishing.

Post by MrTurtle7 »

Yo,
That seem like quite a good rod, definitely worth the money, I got a seahawk shin rod which is very good, easy to cast.
The question would be the reel, cause it seem to be design for baitcasting reel, but really wonder if you can get 1 for $6

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

jialat liao le.........
nvm..... if u have 21-31 dlrs left... go to fishingbuddy2... they got cheap but good diawa reel.(landed 1-2 kg tilapila with it....)
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

jack1986bibi
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by jack1986bibi »

OMG u mean my rod is for bait casting??? i tell uncle i wan lure de rod and the uncle say this rod is design for lure de !! i buy the surecatch 6 dollar reel , the normal design de not those expensive round de

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf fishing, lure fishing.

Post by MrTurtle7 »

Baitcasting reel generally refer to the type of reel that sits on top of the rod, it can be used for luring also, not necessary baiting. so you dont need to worry about it.
But i think you got the spinning version as i just noticed that theres 2 type of handles from the picture. Sorry for the confusion.

zufeeqhar
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by zufeeqhar »

jack1986bibi wrote:OMG u mean my rod is for bait casting??? i tell uncle i wan lure de rod and the uncle say this rod is design for lure de !! i buy the surecatch 6 dollar reel , the normal design de not those expensive round de
ooh no looks like the uncle had a mistake LOL is it those fixed spool?that they lelong one?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Yes, seahawk perfect comes in spinning and casting models. I believe spinning model has a "FS" suffix, ie. 601FS while casting model has a "FB" suffix. Good shopping tips from teamilk there. :)