Labrador Park fishing

For shore anglers casting far out into the sea.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Bczk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Lure, Bottom

Labrador Park fishing

Post by Bczk »

Hi all, i'm thinking of fishing at Labrador Park in the near future and could anybody advise how deep the water is and other tips like size of hooks to use? Will be using dead prawns as bait on medium action rod and reel...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Labrador Park fishing

Post by Peace »

The depth can vary depending on where you fish and how far you cast. The easiest place to get good depth will be the jetty but it is closed to the public for an indefinite time. The stretch along the dragon teeth gate is a good spot but 'no fishing' signs has recently been put there. That just leaves the stretch of breakwater facing Bukom and a small stretch behind the slipway that is fishable.

You will be worrying about snags more than depth because the stretch facing Bukom is quite rocky far out and would require a long surf rod to cast past that. The a rough estimate of depth at a castable distance should be around 20ft or so.

Depending on the fish you want to catch and the size of your bait, it's hard to recommend what size of hooks to use. If let's say you want to fish for medium sized fish, using size 2/0 apollo rig with whole prawn is one way to start with. Rabbit-fishing is quite popular there too, you need a pole rod and some small hooks to catch them by the breakwaters.

Good luck fishing at Labrador. :)

Bczk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Bczk »

Hi Peace thanx so much for the info. I'm wondering should the length of the last hook to the sinker of the apollo rig be of a longer length, say 30cm, to reduce snags? Sorri for the noob question 0.o

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

A good thought, but a longer hook line would mean that the hook will be closer to othe seabed when there's no current and that can increase the chance of snagging. In many cases, it's the sinker that is caught between rocks especially in places like Labrador Park breakwaters. Also, the further you cast the lower the angle of the line is to the seabed, resulting in the hook getting closer to the bottom as well.

Bczk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Bczk »

Oh sorri for the confusion, was refering to the section 'f' (http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/knotsrigs/apollo) and not the hook line. But it's ok since it's all pointed down to the sinker itself. Seems like i cannot onli get more sinkers and hope lady luck is smiling on me =p Thanx once again Peace!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Ah yes, now I see what you mean. Yes, it does help but it makes the rig longer and harder to cast, or rather a longer rod to accomodate the rig length. :)

Bczk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Bczk »

Oh ok... Thanx for instilling more sense in me =)

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Post by Newguy »

trying my luck at labrador park dagon gate tooth next friday... Just a question can i use LSBF rig there or should i keep to apollo rig and wad kind of fish can i get during this time of the year????
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Either apollo or lsbf will work nicely there. You can land rays, chermins, snappers and groupers from the area but take note that the stretch along dragon teeth gate has a 'no fishing' sign put up now.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Yup i know dats why im targetting to fish there for abt an hour or two then move on to the shelter near the slipway...
But does the jetty bring in good fish...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

The jetty can be quite productive but it's a pity now that it is closed to the public.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Ahhh!!!!!! SO should i fish at labrador park..... So is the place at the slipway legal to fish coz i heard its a good place to fish but must cast far out....

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Luring, Offshore, Ponding, Jigging

Post by Limpeh »

Jetty is re-opened!

Anybody with recent catch report from the jetty since it was opened few weeks ago?