For enthusiasts using artificial lures.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Spin Fly

What is Spin Fly?

Post by ping »

We can do fly fishing using spinning rod and reel, and that's is Spin Fly. It is fun catching fish on spin fly with ultralight fishing gears.
I would like to share my little knowledge on spin fly and some ultralight fishing basics with all the friendly people here.
All info sharing, comments, advices and suggestions are welcome.

Spin Fly Rigs

Most people prefer clipping a split-shot onto the leader, I am using the second spin fly rig (shown in the diagram) as it is able to achieve a better casting distance (with minimal entanglement with the mainline). I use a small ball sinker (size #0 which weighs about 3.5g), a small swivel and 1 feet long of 10lbs mono leader for the rig. You may want to connect to a snap for easy changing of flies. A size #0 ball sinker is just nice for me to cast about 20-30 m, and it doesn't affect the fly action very much when retrieved. You may want to use a smaller ball sinker to make the fly looks livelier for finicky eaters.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Working on Spin Fly

There are many ways of working on spin fly. The best method for me is using slow retrieve with upward twitches. After casting out my fly and let it sink, I reel in my line in a slow and steady speed with a few upward twitches. It's like lowering the rod slightly let the fly sink a bit, reel in the line slowly and then lift the rod up slightly with one or two twitches. The fish usually strike when the fly is falling. So you need to be alert, reel in the line fast and make a full strike to set the hook as ultra-light rod are very soft. You may want to strike twice ensuring the hook is set into the fish's mouth.

Ultra-light Rod

Ultra-light rod has lighter action than light action rods. Having a rod strength of 2-6 lbs, it will quiver like a bamboo cane when shaken in the air (very different from medium, or heavy action spinning rods).
Use a 4 ? to 5 feet Ultra-light for tight areas, 6 to 7 feet ones for casting farther distance and providing more shock absorption for fighting big fish.

You may want to get a trout rod which is usually very light and have a rod strength of 2-4 lbs with casting weight of 1-3.5 g, or a 2-6 lbs rod with casting weight up to 7g.

ImageImage

Spinning Reel

The spinning reel line capacity usually does not exceed 6lbs for ultra-light application. A size 500-1000 spinning reel will easily match any ultra-light rods.

I load my Tica Cetus 500 SB with 4 lbs mono. You may want to get 4 lbs braided for extra sensitive. Remember to set your drag to about 80% of the line's strength.

Playing with the fish

We will need to play the fish carefully with much patience and wear them down before landing them with our ultra-light tackle. Try not to pull in the fish too fast as any sudden dash of the fish make will result in broken line. You may need a landing net for larger fish. Very seldom we bring a net along for luring, so has to hold on to the fight and wait for the big one to tire out before it can be landed by hand.

When fishing in confined area with snags around, the fish will head for cover. I hit a peacock bass between the reeds at Punggol Park and the fish dashed towards the reeds, I had a hard time attempting to steer the fish away from the reeds. Fishing with ultra-light tackle is not so easy but it gives you full satisfaction when you caught a good size fish.
Last edited by ping on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Re: What is Spin Fly?

Post by dBs™ »

Ping ... Can I be your flend ? I like your little golden reel ...
I always like small tiny reels. I have one too ... :p

What an eye opener ... finally someone stepping forward to share fly spinning ... in our local waters ! :thumbsup:
Can I have your permission to move this post to the HLF Luring Section ?
I am sure it catch the interest and attention of many anglers.
Thank again for sharing with us here in HLF.
And do keep the infos coming ...

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

dBs™ wrote:Ping ... Can I be your flend ? I like your little golden reel ...
I always like small tiny reels. I have one too ... :p

What an eye opener ... finally someone stepping forward to share fly spinning ... in our local waters ! :thumbsup:
Can I have your permission to move this post to HLF Luring Section ?
I am sure it catch the interest and attention of many anglers.
Thank again for sharing with us here in HLF.
And do keep the infos coming ...

Sure we can be flends, I like your photo skill (can see plenty of your nice nice photo shots in this forum). I use only handphone cam :(
Yes, you can move this post to a place where more people can share their knowledge about spin fly. I would like to meet some spin fly experts out there too.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

That's a very good writeup with illustration on spin fly, Ping. Those interested to try out spin fly will find this article very useful, I think may try it out too one day. I have pink rod similar to yours in the picture, bought it from Coho but never really got to use it. I reckon it'll be suitable rod to try out spinflying. :D

Thanks again for your effort in writing the article and sharing it with us.

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

Peace wrote:That's a very good writeup with illustration on spin fly, Ping. Those interested to try out spin fly will find this article very useful, I think may try it out too one day. I have pink rod similar to yours in the picture, bought it from Coho but never really got to use it. I reckon it'll be suitable rod to try out spinflying. :D

Thanks again for your effort in writing the article and sharing it with us.
Thanks a lot for your compliments on my writeup. I saw that pink rod at Coho too, guess it is a one piece rod, length 4'6"? a very nice UL rod, use it for spin fly shouldn't be a problem.

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Ping, don't get bluff by my photos, a lot are taken with a handphone camera as well.
Makes a whole lot difference when you touch it up with Photoshop ! :shh:

Was that pink rod of yours bought off the shelf ?
Looks more like custom make to me ...

Your thread does make me want to go try spinning some flies again.
I played with them some years back at FW3 ... kinda fun.
Especially the take ... superb thrilling.
The fly is light and small ... the take is sensational !

Just a question that pops into my mind as I am typing this reply ...
Does fly works for salt water fishing too ?
Have you tired spinning in our shores ?
Will be interesting to find out what species we can catch with a fly.

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

dBs™ wrote:Ping, don't get bluff by my photos, a lot are taken with a handphone camera as well.
Makes a whole lot difference when you touch it up with Photoshop ! :shh:

Was that pink rod of yours bought off the shelf ?
Looks more like custom make to me ...

Your thread does make me want to go try spinning some flies again.
I played with them some years back at FW3 ... kinda fun.
Especially the take ... superb thrilling.
The fly is light and small ... the take is sensational !

Just a question that pops into my mind as I am typing this reply ...
Does fly works for salt water fishing too ?
Have you tired spinning in our shores ?
Will be interesting to find out what species we can catch with a fly.

Perhaps I should say you have great Photo..shop skill lol :p just kidding. I do edit my pics (on photo editor freeware) I took on handphone cam before posting.

I bought my pink trout rod from a fishing forum (N.S. Black Hole Eria Spin II Trout rod), it's not custom made.
It has the blue colour ones but all sold out so I just took the pink one, anyway this pink rod is my lucky rod.. landing a belida on fly.. from Punggol Park some more.

Yeah, can't really describe that shiok feeling when a big fish hit your fly. It's a one to one direct fight, unlike hooking fish on plastic lure's trebles. My fishing lures are hanging dry (long time never go for a swim liao) and most of them either sold or given away ever since I started to spin fly.

I have always wanted to try saltwater spin fly but end up fishing in reservoirs, as I only have little time to fish.
Furthermore you need to get the right tide for salty mission unlike freshwater rain or shine the fish still whack.
Maybe got time I will try spinning at the high wall.. tomorrow morning?

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Is that a date ? :lol:

Tomorrow morning is not a good timing ...

tides start to go down at 0428hrs from 2.5m ...
It's low tide at 1.6M at 0946hrs.
Going down the shore is also not ideal as you might just need to thread onto sandy cum oily beaches.

For us, we still prefer to do salt water fishing.
Any type, lure, surf, shore, offshore or jig ...
Salt waters fishes ... rocks ! :nod:

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

where do you buy your flies from? or do you handmake them?

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

patrick2405 wrote:where do you buy your flies from? or do you handmake them?
I tied them myself though my very first fly (a Clouser Minnow fly) was bought from Coho.

punggolspc
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Not that much of a experience angler . Into salt water fishing and freshwater lure fishing.

Post by punggolspc »

May I ask , how much would it cause you for a decent full set of spin-fly (rod,reel,line). Hopefully its not too ex cause I'm only a student :(

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

punggolspc wrote:May I ask , how much would it cause you for a decent full set of spin-fly (rod,reel,line). Hopefully its not too ex cause I'm only a student :(
My UL setup cost about S$100 or so, you can start with Exori Solid Carbon III rod (S$50+) or Berkley Cherrywood rod (S$30+), pair with Tica Cetus 500 reel (S$30+ for a 4 ball bearings model) or Daiwa Sweepfire 500 (S$20+). You may want to start with mono line which is cheaper, Daiso selling 4lbs mono lines (size number 1) a roll of 200m (can't really remember 100m or 200m) for just S$2.00.

punggolspc
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Not that much of a experience angler . Into salt water fishing and freshwater lure fishing.

Post by punggolspc »

Where can I get all those stuff ? Changi ? I stay in hougang soo by any chance the G-takle shop have those stuff???

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

punggolspc wrote:Where can I get all those stuff ? Changi ? I stay in hougang soo by any chance the G-takle shop have those stuff???
Yes, you can find them in Fishing Tackle shops at Changi Village or Beach Road. I guess G-tackle do sell a one piece 5 ft AJN Carbon Ultra-Light spinning rod (S$50+), rod strength 4-10lbs, casting weight up to 10g, I owned one previously but sold it off as I don't like the rod butt which is quite heavy (arms feel tired after casting for a while) other than that the rod action is superb. Not too sure whether they selling small size reel to go with this rod. You can drop by the tackle shops to search for your likings, no need to rush.

punggolspc
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by punggolspc »

Thanks a lot ping for your really appreaciated info . How to buy all the stuff soon :D