For enthusiasts using artificial lures.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Spin Fly

Spin Fly for Tilapia

Post by ping »

Can we catch Tilapia by spinning a fly? Yes, we can and it is less messy than using earthworms, chicken liver or bread. Using small beads, small hooks (size #12 nymph hooks or even size#6 hooks) and marabou feathers will do the trick. Here's a few fly patterns which work very well for hunting Tilapias:

Blood Worm Fly

White Guppy Fly

Red Guppy Fly

Mini Crazy Charlie

Try to use an Ultra-Light setup as heavier lines may not work the fly well. Cast out the fly, let it drop to bottom, retrieve very slowly with one or two twitches, allowing the fly to drop and then do the retrieve and twitch again. Most of the time Tilapia will hit a falling fly, and usually set hook by itself.

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Re: Spin Fly for Tilapia

Post by ping »

ImageImageImageImage

Nothing special for the start of this year, just some small tilapias for my open ceremony 2012 haha..
This spot don't seems to have peacock bass or temensis (hopefully PUB release some soon) but lots of tilapias. The bigger ones like bigger flies but my size 4 hook are just too big for them (as I miss quite a few when they whack my fly), and I found that they simply love white flies, will try to make size 6 or 8 hook flies.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

That's a good showcase on flies for tilapia, I've never gotten them to bite on an artificial lure before. :sweatdrop: One question, do you need to remove the barb of the hook so that you can string the beads in?

Nice work. :thumbsup:

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

Peace wrote:That's a good showcase on flies for tilapia, I've never gotten them to bite on an artificial lure before. :sweatdrop: One question, do you need to remove the barb of the hook so that you can string the beads in?

Nice work. :thumbsup:
Thanks, most people got them easily on bread but I find it more challenging to get them bite on artificial bait :cool:
Yes, you need to use plier to debarb the hook slightly to insert those beads. I think you can try it on your pole rod (by doing the up/down motion) once you've got your first beads fly done :D

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Where do you get your beads from, embroidery shops? I might try putting together a fly once I get the beads, water level has been rather low lately and I recall seeing some eartheaters in the shallows. :mischieve:

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

Peace wrote:Where do you get your beads from, embroidery shops? I might try putting together a fly once I get the beads, water level has been rather low lately and I recall seeing some eartheaters in the shallows. :mischieve:
I bought the beads from a craft shop in people's park centre, not quite sure the bead size as I've thrown away its packet. you may want to bring along your hooks to see whether the beads fit.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Thanks for the tip, may I know what's the effectiveness in adding the feathers, particularly when used to lure the tilapias? ie. hit rate with and without the feathers.

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

Peace wrote:Thanks for the tip, may I know what's the effectiveness in adding the feathers, particularly when used to lure the tilapias? ie. hit rate with and without the feathers.
No problem, with a tail (craft fur, marabou, rabbit fur etc.) will be more effective. Remember to retrieve line very slowly with a twitch or two (pause in between to let the fly drop to bottom), usually tilapia will whack when the fly is falling.

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

Tied a fly with size 6 octopus hook and the Tilapias just love it..

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Nice updates. I tried to tie one with limited materials, I couldn't find any soft fur so I cut off a small piece of owl feather I had with me. It looked kind of crude, I hope something that's that when I get a chance to use it. :lol:

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

Peace wrote:Nice updates. I tried to tie one with limited materials, I couldn't find any soft fur so I cut off a small piece of owl feather I had with me. It looked kind of crude, I hope something that's that when I get a chance to use it. :lol:
Looks pretty nice, any mayan tilapia won't resist taking it i guess. Is that a size 8 hook?
By the way, I had pm you a spot to try out.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I'm not quite sure of the hook size, I dug up a box of very old hooks from my cabinet, I believe they're mustad hooks. Thanks for the PM. :)

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

The weapon:

The Results:

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

Wouldn't the beads fly off when casting or retrieving?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

The beads are threaded directly onto the hook shank so it won't come off. I've yet to find those large shiny beads. Nice catch again, ping.