For enthusiasts using artificial lures.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

inxane
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Surf,lure,inshore...

perfect time to fish ?

Post by inxane »

Is there a specific tide depth or power of the current to do luring ? High tide mid-fast current can ? i'm new to luring, need some tips. thanks guys =)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: perfect time to fish ?

Post by Peace »

It depends on the terrain of the place and the species of fish we're talking about. Fishes that don't move around a lot like the groupers can be caught during up or downtides so long the lure reaches it. Pelagic fishes like queenfish or mackerels like fast current, there will be plenty of oxygen and baitfish will be forced to congregate for easier hunting.

What species of fish do you currently have in mind to start with?

Welcome to HLF, inxane. :)

inxane
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Surf,lure,inshore...

Post by inxane »

Bass and KBL ?? sounds easier then it is i suppose...haha...any locations in the east to recommend ? Thnks for replying !!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I'm not good at hunting kbls, perhaps SGPU can give some insights seeing how his catch reports are always the kims! :p You can try Pulau Ubin if you're keen to take a boat there. I would fish the incoming tide around inlets of prawn ponds along the shoreline.

weaver
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure Fishing,offshore fishing and prawning

Post by weaver »

arhh now kbl season already!they are starting to come in to singapore to the canals..maybe can try punggol end also..

lamerzia
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Fly fishing, Lure fishing, Crabbing, Surf fishing, Handlining

Post by lamerzia »

Any locations in the west to recommend ?

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

inxane wrote:Is there a specific tide depth or power of the current to do luring ? High tide mid-fast current can ? i'm new to luring, need some tips. thanks guys =)
I do not know enough.but say low tide is 0.0m or 0.2m . This is a bad tide to fish for kims at low tides, mainly is bacause the water is very low. However, you may be able to go further out maybe there is a dropoff somewhere, but generally it is not worth the time. I caught a few kims at low tide before, just as the tide was rising, but I forgotten what is the tide at those days, probably at 0.5 or something.
Also a few times at early morning 5am. receeding tide. The water is very calm sometimes at this time.
also a few times at night, when it is 2 hour before high tide, I encountered some fish , but didn't managed to catch it. A lot of times, these may be catfish. There are people who says you may need to fish the neap tides, I suppose those 1.4m low 1.4m high kind of tides,this is not often though. Maybe a 1.1m low 2.5m high. but as the high tides is not very high, so sometimes maybe no fish, but you can try, especially when the previous days have big tides.
I took 10 yrs before I caught my first kims on lures though.
Recently, I'm taking out my 10ft rod and casting towards assam fish shoals. The shoals came close to shore in the evening, unfortunately, caught no fish other than assams.

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Post by stout infantfish »

Welcome to HLF inxane and all others new.You have come to the right place.This forum and website here is simple,exceptional and caters to all.Please read all interesting notes and pictures posted by Peace and others (Sgpu etc... etc..)
These guys are most helpful and i always go back to their fish photograps for reference.Take your time (if possible) to read all post from the begining (like me) and i am sure you will stay on here :nod:

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

For depth, KBL can be more commonly found off shore when the season (which is now i think, till December?), but are equally common in canals.
Mangrove swamps/estuaries/brackish canals are also other spots you may want to go, especially 6 pipes, that place is good to fish during the receding high tide,
the current at that point will push (maybe not push, but convince) the KBL out of the canals and onto the sea, concentrating them nearer to the two inlets of the canal, and vice versa for the incoming tide.
Or you could try sungai changi, just go near Telok Pacu Rd , and fish that area, but be careful of any boatmen that might go there...
next place the canal beside the national service resort club...ive never gone there, so be careful, also, there are no fences at the outlet, so watch your step :mischieve:

The final (untired) spot would be:
punggol way,near the sakura shabu shabu and punggol prawning area, if they allow you to fish at their boat piers...

:) Happy hunting :)
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

i have caught mine during high, low, fast, or neap tide. most time, about structures, weeds, debris. slow cranking, dead slow with pauses. most importantly a lot of patience.
:D
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

sgpu wrote:i have caught mine during high, low, fast, or neap tide. most time, about structures, weeds, debris. slow cranking, dead slow with pauses. most importantly a lot of patience.
wouldn't your lure be like a dead fish just gliding through the water instead of wiggling action? :confused:

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by sgpu »

what the fish thinks, i do not know.

what i enjoy most of lure fishing, day, day break, cooling breeze calm water, no other souls.

what the fish thinks, i can't figure it out or never will. :(

i am not targeting KBL only. i am targeting the size that owns a one way ticket. he can break/ bend my rod wickedly, and strip my spool empty :lol:
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

sgpu wrote:what the fish thinks, i do not know.

what i enjoy most of lure fishing, day, day break, cooling breeze calm water, no other souls.

what the fish thinks, i can't figure it out or never will. :(

i am not targeting KBL only. i am targeting the size that owns a one way ticket. he can break/ bend my rod wickedly, and strip my spool empty :lol:
then you should try for monster redtails at FP or even better, GT pond :)

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by sgpu »

若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???