Reverse winding

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Reverse winding

Post by Kishore »

Gents,
I was just wondering,on any spinning reel there is a small lever which you can switch
from forward(pay in) and reverse(pay out)of the line while cranking the handle.What
is the purpose of the reverse mode,how or when is that applied?What i meant was,when
there is a bite on the hook,the reel is set at Forward mode and drag brakes set and
you reel in the fish.When is the Reverse mode in use?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Reverse winding

Post by Peace »

There's very little real use turning the anti-reverse off with exceptions of back reeling as part of a luring technique which in itself is not common. Back reeling can also be used to lower your rig down slowly in offshore bottom fishing, I prefer using hand on line to control the dropping speed though. When getting snagged during bottom drifting, the drag tension can be too high to release the bail arm without damaging your line. You can loosen the drag down but you would lose your preset drag, or you can turn off the anti-reverse so you can lift the bail arm easier.

There are times when you get line wrapped around your rod creating a high tension between it and the reel. Turning off the anti-reverse will free the line so you can untangle it. You could just pull the line out of the spool but it adds twist to your line (for spinning reels). Back reeling could probably be used in baiting situation when you constantly need to release some line when the fish is biting and when lowering the rod tip isn't enough. Be careful when doing so because you will need to cup the spool or hold the turning handle tight to strike.

That said, I almost never bother with it and rather not have it as the lever is just another way for water to seep into the reel.

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by Kishore »

Peace wrote:There's very little real use turning the anti-reverse off with exceptions of back reeling as part of a luring technique which in itself is not common. Back reeling can also be used to lower your rig down slowly in offshore bottom fishing, I prefer using hand on line to control the dropping speed though. When getting snagged during bottom drifting, the drag tension can be too high to release the bail arm without damaging your line. You can loosen the drag down but you would lose your preset drag, or you can turn off the anti-reverse so you can lift the bail arm easier.

There are times when you get line wrapped around your rod creating a high tension between it and the reel. Turning off the anti-reverse will free the line so you can untangle it. You could just pull the line out of the spool but it adds twist to your line (for spinning reels). Back reeling could probably be used in baiting situation when you constantly need to release some line when the fish is biting and when lowering the rod tip isn't enough. Be careful when doing so because you will need to cup the spool or hold the turning handle tight to strike.

That said, I almost never bother with it and rather not have it as the lever is just another way for water to seep into the reel.
Thank You Peace,
Most Anglers i spoke to regarding the anti reverse,say the same thing,it is either very little
or of no use at all.

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

the most practical usage would be, when you stow your reel, disengage the reel. it will take away the pressure acting on the reverse direction should your reel come into contact with any 'force'
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by Kishore »

sgpu wrote:the most practical usage would be, when you stow your reel, disengage the reel. it will take away the pressure acting on the reverse direction should your reel come into contact with any 'force'
Could you please be a bit more specific in stowing and disengageing your reel.
Kishore

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf, Handline, offshore. but all kinds also good.

Post by QTfisher »

when you keep your reel in a bag or smt, if theres something else in the bag thats pressing on your reel or your crank, then if you release the brakes the reel will just turn instead of resisting whatever is pressing on it. so it wont break or spoil the brakes.

for the function of the switch i think peace has nailed it. but for an example, i once saw an old timer use the reverse to keep his sinker at the bottom when the boat was really bouncing up and down. looked like hard work to me cause all i did was release my bail and use my fingers to hold the line. not sure which way was better though

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by Kishore »

QTfisher wrote:when you keep your reel in a bag or smt, if theres something else in the bag thats pressing on your reel or your crank, then if you release the brakes the reel will just turn instead of resisting whatever is pressing on it. so it wont break or spoil the brakes.

for the function of the switch i think peace has nailed it. but for an example, i once saw an old timer use the reverse to keep his sinker at the bottom when the boat was really bouncing up and down. looked like hard work to me cause all i did was release my bail and use my fingers to hold the line. not sure which way was better though
Sorry to say,i cannot understand your First paragraph.
Kishore

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I think he means that since the anti reverse is on, a slight nudge on the reel handle will make position of the the bail arm and spool change, making unable to fit in a box properly. With it turned off, the handle will slide back on its own even if there was some rattling on the box itself.

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

stow, however you store your reel, especially while you are travelling around with it.

engaged, your reel spinning in one direction.
disengaged, your reel able to spin freely in both forward and reverse direction.

when you reel is able to spin in both directions, no force, knocking/ pressing can impact on parts like bail arm etc.
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

For me i use this reverse winding quite often, during bottom fishing drifting when the grounds are uneven and i need to lower the sinker down/up etc, and also during snag when the tension is too tight and i need to release some line, pushing the bail arm forward might be too stressful on line/bail etc, and i wouldnt want to touch my drag settings etc, its more bound on personal preference i guess. If i would get a spinning reel now i would get 1 with the reverse winding as i am used to it, which is built more on daiwa reels :p
But i wouldnt set to reverse winding when i attempt a hook-up or fighting a fish.
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis