For enthusiasts using artificial lures.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Colours

Post by stout infantfish »

I bought a couple of lures and was wondering which colours is best for day fishing.I will be heading to St.John's Island on the 11th May.Will post the photos of the lures.Thanks

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Re: Colours

Sorry for the delay,I will be using these lures on St John's island during the day time.May i know which one you think is best Peace? Perhaps any of you members can help me choose to try out.Thank you

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf, Handline, offshore. but all kinds also good.

Post by QTfisher »

theres alot of tambans there so i suggest u use one that looks like a tamban to mimic natural prey

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I'm not very good with luring, especially with saltwater. :lol: SGPU should be able give you a better advice. I personally will take lighter or silvery colours in bright days for better reflections to attract fish. QTfisher made a good point too, the water at St John's is pretty clear so choosing a lure looking like its natural prey there might be a good idea as well.

I would use the max rap at the causeway to target for queenfish, mackerels or todak. You can try fast retrieve or jerks with pauses, maxrap is good with this. You can also try the lagoon just beside the ferry jetty (the side facing the mangroves), use the rapala minnow to target for barramundis.

Good luck on your fishing trip. :)

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Thank you QTFisher and peace for your valuable ideas.I am sure with your help, i will make better judgement on that day.Thank you very much guys.I will post the fish caught (if any) to show you :nod:

guitalk
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: lure fishing

Post by guitalk »

hey stout, leave the Spro at home ;) ...take the Rapalas and some other brands 120mm minnows.. crank at high speed or crank and rip aggressively to incite pelagics to slam..my opinion though :D

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Hi,Guitalk,why do you suggest i leave the SPRO?Is there ant particular reasons?After doing my research these few days,i came out with this conclusion on St.John's Island.The weather on that paticular place can be very hot and windy.Managed to check the weather forecast on 11 May (showers with thunder in the morning and early afternoon)The tide is not that ideal either at a low of 0.2 at 9.03am and high of 2.5 at 16.01pm (thats when the ferry leave for mainland).Strong current are to be expected with rocky beaches.Apollo jigs might get entangled with bolders if you are not careful.Lots of needle fish (todak) which actually is not my target species.
However,with all these bad news,I will still venture this friday come rain or shine.As fisherman,even if there is no fish, i will go ther to practise my luring skill :)

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

Good job on the research, now u need a little of luck and perseverance under the hot sun. it'll strike when u least expected, keep trying. :p
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Came back from fishing yesterday at St.John's Island.Extreme weather (HOT).Sad to say,after luring for 1 hour about (50 to 60 cast) not a bite,tried Rapala to every other colour lures but no luck.Hu Hu Hu. :sweatdrop: However, seen a KBL about 1 meter swimming into the causeway channel to hide.Todaks only seen to big ones about 45 cm.The rest not worth mentioning.Even with my jungle hat with mask and long sleeves shirt,we gave up fighting mother nature as our sunburn was bad. So much for covering up that day.My advise for you fishing buddies is to create a small tentage (eg.groundsheet) and take cover.Wasted $15 on boat trip,however, the experience was priceless (finally got my skill on luring with different length of wire leader,lead weight placement and colours lures) :nod:
Total cast estimated 320 times

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Glad it was at least a good experience in luring for you. Maybe if you get more familiar with the area you will be able to tell where the fishes usually will be. You can also do some baiting while you lure, or at least while you take a break in the shade under that burning sun. Take care when fishing at St John's islands, it can get very hot there especially in recent days.

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf, Handline, offshore. but all kinds also good.

Post by QTfisher »

you know a real fisherman when his review about a bad day fishing is better than one about the best day at work. lol

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

I like that saying,words of wisdom :thumbsup:

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

for salt water luring, yea i agree there are nice deep enough lagoons around St John island. but are you sure your rapala are suitable for salt water luring? those with copper colored hook ones are fresh water lures. so their hooks would most probably rust after one trip.

i wouldn't suggest going for just a day trip. the duration is never enough for me. roughly 8am -2.30pm i always prefer over night trip, else sunday at least the ferry serves more periods. last ferry something like 6pm.

going somewhere that far, may i suggest in future bring more sizes and variety? it might make your trip more enjoyable? if you are targeting queen fish, the more essential would be a spoon. more affordable and effective.

chug bug poppers, small, medium, and large. these can achieve actions of walk-the-dog too
random slow, and fast crank. it either simulate sick/ injured prey or feeding/ frantic frenzy (fast crank)
at times you see bait fish scrambling momentarily usually implies a predator is around.
cast a propeller lure, or a popper outside or inward of the school, might attract predator. a jig or spoon might work too.
random your jigging force, target surface, or just meters below surface.
random your spoon cranking speed between joint breaking speed and just moderately fast speed.

other than which, aim at structures, dead log, fallen branches. floating, suspending. all colors work. most importantly you must have faith in it.else you will just end up cursing whoever recommended the lures.

back to basic physics. matter don't evolve light by itself. in the dark, luminous would be effective. else dark color contour would distinguish itself in the water even under dim pale light. noise, from its bearings might attract too. silent, rubber vibrating tail causes turbulence. attracts fishes too.

all these might just bring about the conflicting effect scaring fishes away.

right time right place lah . . .

these are tips i've learnt from gurus and effectively it worked a lot of times.
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Thanks for your valuable tips sgpu.All that fishing experience you have will help me cut down mistakes :thumbsup: