Totally new at fishing

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

deathrow
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Totally new at fishing

Post by deathrow »

Hi to all i am new to fishing and i have been wanting to try pond fishing.
Can anyone tell should i get get my own rods and reel ?
If yes what kind or type??(on budget :) )
Is there a place to learn to fish??
I am free today but do not have any kakis to teach or show me how.. :confused:

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Re: Totally new at fishing

Post by sgpu »

there's a very wide range of tackles. ranging from as affordable as $10 to thousands.

perhaps you should state your budget so all walks of life can suggest their comfortable set.

i can start with a few facts you ought to know

1) salt water is very corrosive. whatever tackle you have, you need to practice good maintenance to it.
2) usually a size 2000 daiwa http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=598
or
shimano 3000 http://fish.shimano.com.sg/publish/cont ... ernos.html should suffice.
their drag strength value is about 4kg - 3kg respectively.
each capable of loading about 120m of line of value about 10lbs.
3) line capacity vary with the line thickness, usually, stronger line = thicker diameter = takes up spool depth = load lesser length of line.
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Post by Newguy »

Im oso quite new to fishing i started last 2 years back from a friend of mine...

When i started fishing i actually bought a telescope rod which have a reel sold together with it....
Bought it at Changi Village for only $45 in total... And that rod have bring me luck during my beginners stage i have landed KBL, Mangrove Jack @ Pasir Ris Main Pond durig that time and quite a few of Usat and Sembilang at Changi and West Coast park Beach...

But then the disadvantage of me is that i learn thru hardness till i get this forum which i have learn a lot from all the pros here...What i actually trying to say here is that why dont u get a cheap rod and reel first before going into buying the equipment separately which will cost u... Coz fishing is like a sport of addiction the moment ure hook its not easy to let go of it....Try the sport first before investing in it coz u wont want ure investmet to go to waste...
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

Hi deathrow, welcome to handlinefishing and the fishing world :)
I would suggest u try to get someone who knows the basic and u arrange a trip and tag along with him without buying anything. Reason is, there's too much things to learn. Try to learn as he fish along, ask him questions, of course pick one that has a lot of patience. :p Try to take note on what rod,reel,fishing lines, swivels, hooks, rigs he is using, then drop by to a tackle shop to get the required. This way u'll avoid spending on the necessity. My two cents :p
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

deathrow
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by deathrow »

Thanks to those who respond.
SGPU - My budget range from 150 and below if possible. and thanks for the info too :)
NEWGUY - So how has fishing been for you so far?? How many new equipments have you already bought and spent on??? i did thought of getting a cheaper rod but at least last me for quite a while before i am accustom to the fishing environment and knowledge and grasp to customized my tackle tools :) Trial and error is fun but it would be better to find someone to guide me along the way . :)
VIDIC - I am looking for someone with experience to guide me along as my group of friends has not much interest in fishing let alone my gf :P. I was trying to fish at pasir ris main pond as it tweak my interest looking the fights a fish would give once caught. i have caught twice but i believe it was not set in properly and it drop in right back just in front of me... This made me look at this forum and seek for advice from people :)

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Post by Oinkie »

Hi
Everybody start off somewhere. Better than not doing anything. Well my personal experience, I started using a Shimano AX 1000 reel and a 6ft rod playing in a long kang in Punggol. It was a steep learning curve for me, learning everything from scratch from the experienced. Just be humble and they will be willing to teach you.

What you can do now is start off by learning the knots, snelling the hooks and tying of rig. I started off buying ready made apollo rigs from the tackle shops. From there I will study how to tie the same rig. It too me many tries and asking around to get it right. I've also spent countless hours in youtube learning also.

Had talked to shops and do my research on the type of reels and rods. My advise if you talked to the shops make sure you buy something from them rather than just ask ask without buying anything. Sometimes knowing this shop will be expensive I still patronise them, take it as school fees. Nothing is free in this world.

Hope you get what you want.

Cheers

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

It has been a great exp for me for the last 2 years as fishes caught is always small not much biggies for me....
Currently for me is that I'm still learning and have spend not much on my equipment yet coz still thinking of buying a new equipment...Looking for 6-7ft rod and reel but the prob i have now is that dont know what reel to buy is spinning good or will baitcaster be better... That question will only be answer by each individual himself..

How much have i spend u ask....My answer will be less then $250 EXCLUDED sinker,hooks,leader and some more stuff....
Easy to say my first 2 rod was a telescope which only cost me ard $30-$50(include reel)each and then i start to buy 2 piece rod which cost me about $75 and then 2 reel which i cant remember how much it cost...

Juz like oinkie say juz tag along an exp anglers and go fishing with him... So while u fish u learn from them to from the basic of hooks to leader and hooking up a fish...It maybe too much to take for just 1 day of fishing but once ure hook theres no medication that can cure it....

deathrow
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by deathrow »

Thanks Oinkie and New guy for sharing you experience with me

So what kind of rods should be a best choice if we are fishing in a pond or on shore fishing??
Reels wise i believe SGPU has already touch that.
Any recommendation on any good shops??

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Totally new at fishing

Post by Oinkie »

deathrow wrote:Thanks Oinkie and New guy for sharing you experience with me

So what kind of rods should be a best choice if we are fishing in a pond or on shore fishing??
Reels wise i believe SGPU has already touch that.
Any recommendation on any good shops??
What rod to buy really depends on your budget.... But a durable reel that I would recommend is the Shimano ax4000 reel. A 4k reel will be a good size for offshore and pond.

You can try fishing buddy marine parade branch. Look for Henry he really gives good advise and recommendation but the price will be slightly higher. As I've said treat it as school fees.

Cheers

deathrow
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by deathrow »

Thanks Oinkie
I will check it out when i'm done with my reservist
I notice you selling some stuff here too.

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by sgpu »

the toughest part of recommendation is when people is asking for best of 'all' world tackle.

a set meant for the pond, does not ideally suit seaside, boat or bedok jetty. but still applicable.

where do you stay? you might want to refer to http://www.handlinefishing.com/whosfish ... ectory.htm for your nearest tackle shop?

no point traveling too far for a $5 discount. unless, the whole set discount is worth more than that. as most times traveling to and fro cost more than that.

i think changi is a good place to start.

along a stretch of shops you have gary tackle, changi pro, and riverland tackle. and they definitely have tackle about your budget range.

usually, those flimsy, plastic, very light weight cost less. like shimano, alivio. many novice started with it. it does the job. price range about $30- $40

the heavier ones, metal body, more sturdy, more bearings would cost more. $50 - $90

remember to check with them if it is salt water friendly. just inform the boss behind the counter what is your intended usage.

price ranging $50 - 90 fish rods are abu garcia, berkley, and shimano and whole lot more. i can name them mainly i started with these =)

my personal favorites are ultra cast and scimitar. but i not sure if they are still in production.

lemax offer quite a wide price range too.

loading your reel with those 120m/ 150yds, 10lbs line should sufficed.

pond fishing does not promise sure catch.

tight lines =)
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Great advise from sgpu ! :thumbsup:

Guess there is no need for me to add more salt and pepper else our poor friend will be seeing stars.
Fishing need not have to be an expensive hobby ...
Just start simple and enjoy the thrill first.

If you are still unsure ... just grab a $12-$15 rod and reel combo and try it out.
Who knows ... you might head to the tackle shop after the session for a better pair of equipment ... or ... :mischieve: :lol:
Don't look down on those cheap tackle combo set ... they can be very entertaining to play with.

Should you have further doubts and queries ... just post it up ... plenty of friendly mods on standby for advises =)

Cheers
dBs™

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by sgpu »

lai leh, share with us what you've acquired. i love the feeling of spending $ . . .
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

deathrow
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by deathrow »

I took a liberty of checking out the brand shimano @ bottle tree
they gave a price ranging between 100 - 400
i have yet to check daiwa or any other brands though
i do had a great fight @ bottle tree though with a red tail catfish using their rental rods
The catch at pasir ris farmway was great also the CR there also was a great experience.
I'm still deciding to get a rod as i find the fight is much more fun then prawning though prawning have its leisure too.
Well I'm looking forward to learn more things from all the experience you guys got and places to the get proper equipments least i know basic necessity for it :P

Catch from Farmway @ home

One of the catch from bottle tree(red tail)

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Wow thats a nice Redtail Catfish u hoked up... But t bad u cant kkep it right but then pictures shows a thousands words....
Can see the big smile on ure face bro...Congrats to u bro hope to see more CR frm u bro...