New Fisher

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

newfisher
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

New Fisher

Post by newfisher »

Hi guys,

I'm a student and i've never fished before in my life. Any tips or advice to get me started. I'm clueless.. but im reading up.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Re: New Fisher

Post by Vidic »

Welcome to Handlinefishing, Newfisher.
I would suggest you tag along with a buddy to go fishing, preferably a fishermen. This way you could learn from him and ask him questions when u are unsure. The learning process would be much faster and you would not be spending money on the inessentials :p
Also check out the How to Fish section in HLF, theres a lot of info you could use in it. Tight lines ! :D
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

newfisher
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by newfisher »

Vidic wrote:Welcome to Handlinefishing, Newfisher.
I would suggest you tag along with a buddy to go fishing, preferably a fishermen. This way you could learn from him and ask him questions when u are unsure. The learning process would be much faster and you would not be spending money on the inessentials :p
Also check out the How to Fish section in HLF, theres a lot of info you could use in it. Tight lines ! :D
Thanks Vidic. Unfortunately none of my friends are really into fishing.. But i will defo ask around.

I'll check it out :)

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Post by stout infantfish »

Try jigging for tambans at bedok jetty.It"s fun and its cheap too.You can buy sabki hooks from an old man who sells 3 to 4 sets for $5

newfisher
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by newfisher »

stout infantfish wrote:Try jigging for tambans at bedok jetty.It"s fun and its cheap too.You can buy sabki hooks from an old man who sells 3 to 4 sets for $5
I tried reading up on jigging on this website but some pages aren't updated yet hmmm is it like just a tugging action? And what are sabki hooks?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks!

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

It is sabiki hooks. you can search through google.
Are you primary or secondary school student ?
which area you are staying at ? North ,south, east, west, central ?
Seaside fishing or freshwater ?
I started out fishing for halfbeaks with my dad. Other fish you can try is tilapias , sand whitings, or assorted small fishes at the seaside. but tying the small hooks for the whiting may be not as easy as it seems.
btw, you can find hook tying info in the www easily. Many methods, but you probably only need to learn a few.

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

Check out this link, http://www.handlinefishing.com/howtofis ... anjigging/
It's in the How to fish section of HLF website under specific guides.
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

DMCY
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Any type

Post by DMCY »

Im also a student although i started fishing when i 9. You'll get the hang of it soon. By the way, sabiki are like flys but in a line. For starters, i suggest bait fishing first

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

grab whatever you have, make do with whatever you can grab from ntuc, fresh or discounted stale seafood, or at least smell/ taste like a bait, go to the nearest sea side start casting.

pls do so with a buddy, mature enough, as it can be really risky. weather, dark clouds, lightning, took away a few lives already.

let's talk about the rest later.

you've got to start somewhere . . .
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

xiaodhanan
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: lure and shore. mostly fw

Post by xiaodhanan »

welCome to the forum bro :)