Upgrade

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Upgrade

Post by stout infantfish »

After so many years and I finally got an upgrade from Shimano Ocea Jigger 4000p to a Penn VSX 50.
Last edited by stout infantfish on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Re: Upgrade

This is the one which I have mention earlier

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

From Top. Shimano JigWrex AX, Penn Senator boat rod, Shogun Glass Rod ,Athena, Okuma Nemissis 2,Shakespear Ugly stick tiger, Silstar rod in fiesta bag, Fiesta beach casting rods and 2 Korean made collapsible rods
Last edited by stout infantfish on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Penn Tuna Stick
Last edited by stout infantfish on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

when I was small ,I use to think that my $4.50 hand line reel is all I need to fish. Now I realised that there are so many types of specific applications for different needs. Laugh as you may, my first fish caught at Bedok jetty was a shad (Ikan selangat) and I was extremely happy with my green colour handline. Took me nearly 2 hours but well worth it. Just an advise to newcomers to fishing. Do not be ashamed of what you have when you first started fishing,it may be a simple cheap rod purchased at ntuc etc... However, that will be the best and most memorable experience for the rest of your fishing career. Enjoy and make the best out of your equipment and you will not regret it.

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

That is how I first started, just one precious handline which I have kept it for a long long time as a token my of appreciation. Empty all my saving ($4.50) to buy it at Yaohan department store (years ago) at parkway parade when it first started. Funny thing is somehow or rather,i feel more attached with my handline than my latest bells and whistle.I was wondering if peace or others like Kishore can share their first time experience with us just to bring back good old memories :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

That's quite a collection you have there, OJ and VSX are both excellent reels with their own strength. :nod: For me, most of my early years (and really mean years) fishing with a handline on boat fishing. The times I did bring a rod out to fish is when I do shore fishing.

Those plastic spools are relatively good and cheap, they're very light but they tend to go brittle with prolonged exposure to sunlight. So they break after years or even months of typical use, ironically some of them have the word 'unbreakable' embossed on it. Wooden spools can be very tough and lasting if you find one made from right type of wood, but the toughest ones usually very heavy and can really hurt if you accidentally drop it on your foot. :lol:

With advancement in fishing tackles, rod and reels offer a lot more versatility and advantage in fishing than a conventional handline. It can't replace the unique handlining experience though! ;)

RaymondAng
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Any type of fishing as long can go fishing.

Post by RaymondAng »

I think we start off the same way. Like $2 for a spool and can get it at shopping centre like Emporium or Yaohan
shopping centre.
From there a $20 rod set and later upgraded to Abu or Ugly Stick which are the high end rod of those day.
These rod are unbreakable.
Still have it in my collection.